Thread: MarkII GL Getting Krieger Barrel

eight_heads

MarkII GL Getting Krieger Barrel

I dropped off my MarkII GL(acutrigger) to my gunsmith Saturday(8/28) to get a Krieger 1-16" 22lr barrel put on. He is going to: 1.Remove stock barrel 2.Thread my receiver and barrel 3.Do some "cosmetic" work to the barrel(we talked about flutes, but I told him to go crazy) I shoot f-class with him in Mississippi and he has made some beautiful rifles based on the Savage Target actions that shoot between 198-200s regularly(our range has very strange/tough wind and 200s are rare for any rifle). I will post pics of the rifle when I get it and then will post accuracy results. Anyone have a recommendation for ammo for the Krieger barrels or any experience with them?

Basic Member

Re: MarkII GL Getting Krieger Barrel

Try as many different brands of ammo as you can get your hands on. All rifles are different and rimfires are no exception. You would be surprized. I have one rifle that loves Federal Automatch yet hates Eley Tenex. And another that hates anything Federal yet loves Wolf.
    Things to make sure to do when accuracy testing a rimfire:
    Clean the bore between brands, some bulet lubes don't play well with other brands of bullet lube and will cause erratic test results
    Fire 20-25 rounds after cleaning the barrel to "foul" it before shooting for accuracy use the first 20-25 to practice
    Avoid firing from a bipod and use bags if at all possible because a bipod can cause harmonic issues with some rifles/ammo
    Try to test on the same day or at least during similar conditions
    KEEP NOTES OF THE CONDITIONS AND TEST RESULTS!!!

Once you find what ammo it likes buy as much as you can of the same lot. I bought a case of some ammo my rifle it liked. Now that I have ran out I can't seem to find anything that shoot as well.

Sounds like it is going to be a great looking as well as a great shooting rifle. I am interested in seeing it once it is done because I love my rimfires.

Dolomite

eight_heads

Re: MarkII GL Getting Krieger Barrel

I got the rifle back today and made a new topic
    http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,35693.0.html