Thread: Savage Ashbury Precision

watson

Savage Ashbury Precision

Hi Folks. First post here.
    I had convinced myself to buy a Savage APO with the APO Sabre chassis and went to try one out in the store. I was impressed with the rifle and greatly admired the features of it... until this observation.

Is it me, or is the knuckle for the folding stock on the APO really, really close to ones teeth (right handed) when in a proper cheekweld (for my slightly shorter than average LOP)? Not so much an issue for the mild recoil of the 6.5 Creedmoor but I had hopes of someday upgrading the barrel to possibly something with significant recoil (WSM of some sort).

-w

watson
    Forgive me for replying to my own question, but I thought it prudent to update it. Ashbury has already fielded my question and got back to me.

They advised they have approximately 8,000 of the these units out there and have had zero complaints. They also advised they have the same footprint stock geometry on some of the 338 Lapuas they build and have not had any issues and there are videos that can be had of them in use. They did say, however, that they use a quality muzzle brake. In the scale-up to recoil tough chamberings, I think that will be a necessity to remain in the good graces of the dental plan.

I was comfortable enough after considering a muzzle brake and talking with them to go back to being in love the rifle. Thats good because I felt like a man rebuffed on a hot date when I made that observation.

Looking at it I don't see how/where it would be a problem. You're going to have a raised cheekpiece that gets you up and above the hinge so that's not an issue, and even with the stock in the shortest position you should still be well back of it unless you're rubber-necking to make up for poor eye-relief setup on the scope.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

watson
    I mocked up the height over bore as best I could using some "kentucky windage" at the gun counter. It was apparent to all of us there. But I/we all agreed that it wasn't likely to be an issue with a 308 based cartridge. I would opine to keep it in mind for anything beyond that though.

Basic Member
    I have a 308 APO Savage and I like it Tack Driver!!!!!!!!!

Basic Member
    I haven't shot one, but just looking at the pictures on Savages web site I think the gun would have to dislocate your shoulder to hit you in the teeth.