Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brass Sizing and the Savage Barrel Nut Equation

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post
    I used a surface grinder but you can work'm down with course grit paper They don't have to be perfectly square as long as the maximum deck height at any point is .120 or less.
    Gotcha, I thought you had a source for buying ones that were made with a reduced height.

Basic Member
    When I first headspaced my new 22-250 barrel, I apparently set it a bit too close. Although factory ammo would fit fine, my RCBS FL die would bottom out on the shell holder and not bump the shoulder back once my brass hit that stiff bolt closure max dimension. So after pondering my options, I loosened the barrel nut and backed the barrel off a few thou. Problem solved, everything fits and works like it should and I can get a good .0015 to .002 bump.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Not seeing variation measurements are as explained in original post. I’m seeing limited capability of the sizing Die....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see a barrel nut that compensates

Quote Originally Posted by m12lrs View Post
    sounds like an excellent procedure.

the reason your cases are a little tight is not your shoulder bump. in fact i set my dies up for only a 1 thousandth shoulder bump.

the forster bushing bump die only sizes the neck and bumps the shoulder. it does not size the case body. i would reccomended you either get a body die or a full length bushing die or the forster full length sizing die honed to your neck specifications.

if you do decide to use a body die check your shoulder bump measurement afterwards. brass will probably grow and you will need to run it through your bump die again.

you are getting a consistent 2 thousandth bump now which is more than i set my dies up for. why do you want a 3 thousandth bump?

if so just loosen the nut and back the barrel up a touch. the go gauge is minimum saami specs and the no go gauge is made to max saami spec. you could even headspace with the no go but i don't know why you would.

frankly i would set the die up for a 1 thousandth shoulder bump and resize the case body by one of the methods suggested above.

Basic Member
    So based on feedback I think I'm going to look into getting a honed FL die for next season. I don't plan on changing from the 6.5x47 for match use any time soon as it's literally been the most consistent and most accurate cartridge I've shot to date. So it would be an investment for down the road.

I think I'm going to look into getting a honed FL die for next season
    Doing this changed my game in F/TR mid and long range. It was an experiment with a lee die that took me that direction about 7 years ago. The only die I have that can compete with it is a forester that I bored to the same dimensions.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Doing this changed my game in F/TR mid and long range. It was an experiment with a lee die that took me that direction about 7 years ago. The only die I have that can compete with it is a forester that I bored to the same dimensions.
    Just ordered one from Forster this morning! Really it only makes sense being that I now know all of the specs I want a sized case to meet!

Basic Member
    I had a problem with not being able to set shoulders back on my .308 110FP. Rather than going through the trouble of tightening the head space on the rifle I just took .001" off the top of my shell holder. didn't need any tools other than some wet dry paper and an old piece of glass for a flat surface.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12