Thread: Vortex HS-LR 6-24x50 FFP to much scope for a 223?

Vortex HS-LR 6-24x50 FFP to much scope for a 223?

I currently have a Vortex HS-LR 6-24x50 FFP with the XLR reticle sitting in my safe not being used. It is probably the most expensive piece of glass I have ever bought, so it kind of bothers me that it's not being used.

I currently have two model flat back 12s, one in 223 and the other in 22-250. Both rifles currently have early 2000s era Nikon Buckmaster on them, before the line was cheapend. The 223 has a 4.5-14 SFP Mil-Dot reticle with 1/8 minute turrets and the 22-250 has a 6-18 with the Nikon BDC also 1/8 minute turrets.

ive been thinking about putting the 6-24x50 on my 223 but I think it may be too much scope for the rifle. Typically I just shoot the rifle at paper and steel and have never shoot past 450 yards.

I originally bought the scope to go on a 308 because I wanted something that I could stretch out farther and the salesman talked me up to the 6-24 as opposed to a 4-16 because of the better reticle. Local laws change and I can now use the 308 for hunting deer. I just find that the magnification is how much for hunting my area and the reticle is hard to see at low magnifications.

If I put this on my 223, I'll have to buy new rings so I will probably get a new picatiny mount. I don't shoot the 22-250 much any more and thought about building it into a 6.5 but am they to save money for a future hunt or this would be the answer to my delima.

Turn that 22-250 into a 260 Rem or a 6.5 Creedmoor!! Then the scope will be a perfect compliment to your rifle. I have the Sightron SIII 6-24x50 FFP on my 260 Rem for plinking steel and varmints at long range.

If you don't want to do that, then try it out on the 223... You'll for sure be able to see anything out to 500 yards easily.... Seems an awful shame to have such a fantastic piece of glass not being used... especially for how much it sets the pocket book back... :)

Basic Member
    I agree with ^^ change that 22-250 to a 6.5 creedmoor or if you reload a 260 remington. Can't go wrong with either cartridge
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Quote Originally Posted by psharon97 View Post
    I agree with ^^ change that 22-250 to a 6.5 creedmoor or if you reload a 260 remington. Can't go wrong with either cartridge
    Originally that was the plan. I was going to shoot the remaining 22-250 reloads I have and than get a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. Once I use my 22-250 ammo, I'd sell the brass and dies, than reinvest that money into 6.5. But it's going to be a while before I can get start on that project.

Basic Member
    Id for sure be putting a more suitable scope on the 308 if its to be used for traditional type deer hunting.
    But otherwise id be keeping the unused scope for a future gun and keeping the 223 and 22x250 as they now are.
    One trip to say Wyoming for prairie dogs will have you wishing for a variety of different cartridges zeroed for various distances.
    You will miss as many and maybe even more shots due to wasted time dialing and redialing than you will by actual misses.

I did put a more suitable scope on the 308. We used to go to South Dakota for Prairie dogs, which is how I ended up with a 17HMR and 22-250. But haven't been in years, so both calibers don't get shoot much.

The nice thing about the 6-24 I have is that it has the Christmas tree reticle so if I did use it for prairie dogs in the future, I wouldn't have to dial shoots. I'd think even if I rebarreled the 22-250 to 6.5, I'd still have a diverse selection of rifle with the 17HMR, 223, and a 6.5.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by X1rider View Post
    I did put a more suitable scope on the 308. We used to go to South Dakota for Prairie dogs, which is how I ended up with a 17HMR and 22-250. But haven't been in years, so both calibers don't get shoot much.

The nice thing about the 6-24 I have is that it has the Christmas tree reticle so if I did use it for prairie dogs in the future, I wouldn't have to dial shoots. I'd think even if I rebarreled the 22-250 to 6.5, I'd still have a diverse selection of rifle with the 17HMR, 223, and a 6.5.
    I have a 17 Rem centerfire in a 700 Rem, but I frankly don't like it much for PDs because of the very lite bullets with the wind.
    Same problem with the 40 gr 223s, which is why I prefer the 22x250 with 69 gr bullets. I also have a 6x284 in which I use 105s.
    I take and use all of them, but also take far more ammo for the 22x250 AI.
    If I were forced to take just one gun, that would be the one.
    But that's just me and my personal preference. I do have friends who prefer much longer shots even though their actuall kill numbers are far fewer.
    Just had 2 friends return to PA yesterday from a week near Sundance WY. They were actually headed to a ranch in SE MT. where we usually go, but while on the road in SD they got a call saying don't come because the fires and dry weather in MT caused them to shut down the state for hunting.
    So we talked and I put them onto a guy I know in Sundance who salvaged the trip for them.
    But they weren't permitted to drive on the fields, which meant longer shooting than they were prepared for with the guns they brought.
    It was also very hot and they had no protection from the sun along.
    I guess you cant buy those blue tarps in WY. lol

Basic Member
    HEY!!!! Why all the hate for a 22-250? This is still one of the classic American cartridges capable of taking most North American game with proper shot placement. With properly loaded ammo, it can be more accurate over a longer range than your .223 or .308. I'd put that Vortex on the 22-250 and work up some good handloads. But that's just me..... I'm different and I know it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I second that B-Juice...Good glass for a 22-250Rem.

I would never match a scope to a cartridge as far as power goes. I would match it to purpose. If paper is purpose power is limited only by mirage.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I would never match a scope to a cartridge as far as power goes. I would match it to purpose. If paper is purpose power is limited only by mirage.
    Noice....

Quote Originally Posted by X1rider View Post
    I currently have a Vortex HS-LR 6-24x50 FFP with the XLR reticle sitting in my safe not being used. It is probably the most expensive piece of glass I have ever bought, so it kind of bothers me that it's not being used.

I currently have two model flat back 12s, one in 223 and the other in 22-250. Both rifles currently have early 2000s era Nikon Buckmaster on them, before the line was cheapend. The 223 has a 4.5-14 SFP Mil-Dot reticle with 1/8 minute turrets and the 22-250 has a 6-18 with the Nikon BDC also 1/8 minute turrets.

ive been thinking about putting the 6-24x50 on my 223 but I think it may be too much scope for the rifle. Typically I just shoot the rifle at paper and steel and have never shoot past 450 yards.

I originally bought the scope to go on a 308 because I wanted something that I could stretch out farther and the salesman talked me up to the 6-24 as opposed to a 4-16 because of the better reticle. Local laws change and I can now use the 308 for hunting deer. I just find that the magnification is how much for hunting my area and the reticle is hard to see at low magnifications.

If I put this on my 223, I'll have to buy new rings so I will probably get a new picatiny mount. I don't shoot the 22-250 much any more and thought about building it into a 6.5 but am they to save money for a future hunt or this would be the answer to my delima.
    Any updates on your Vortex 6-24-50mm...???
    I just procured the HS Long Range in a 4-16-44mm and love it....Feedback on scope and set-up
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....