I wanted to get into some precision shooting for fun, but am on a tight budget.
I decided I could start with an Axis and see where it goes.
It started as an Axis SR .308 18".
It actually shot decent in it's stock configuration, but I am not one to leave well enough alone.
I wanted to try and keep everything around $1000
I shopped a lot during Black Friday Sales and scored some great prices on items.
It ended up coming in right around $1k

Build parts as follows...........
ER Shaw Stainless Heavy Varmint barrel
Boyds Tacticool Stock
EGW 0MOA Base (more on that later)
Timney Trigger (set so it would pass the drop test. approx 1lbs)
TPS Rings
SWFA SS 10x Optic
Tip Top Pivot Bipod 9-13" (because I am a fat guy and need the height going prone)

I worked up reloads for it and settled on Lapua Brass, IMR4064, Nosler CC 175gr BTHP and Wolf Primers. I trickle powder down to the granule on a digital scale that goes down to 0.02 grains. It usually involves removing individual granules with tweezers to get an exact charge. Tedious, but worth it IMO.
They come in around 2700fps and shoot between 3/8" up to 3/4" depending on how much coffee I have had.
I have had a few 1 hole 3 shot groups at 100 yards.

My local ranges only go out to 200 yards, so over the last couple years, I never was able to take it past that.

My really local range closed down over 2 years ago, and the range I have been going to only has 100 yards.
I haven't really even shot the rifle in about 2 years....Until this weekend.

We took a trip a couple hours away to some BLM land.
There is a plate setup at 1160 yards a few ridge lines away from our chosen shooting position. It is about 30x40".
We also setup a 12x20" IPSC plate at 820 yards.

My first shooting position was pretty unstable.
Prone, shooting through tall strands of grass with a rear bag that isn't nearly big enough.
It was pretty shaky.

Using Strelok+ and my ballistic data, I was on in only a few shots.
Pretty awesome considering it was my first chance to shoot past 200 yards.

Then I moved to the shooting table, and while it wasn't optimal, it was more stable than my previous position.

I wish I had the wherewithal to bring stuff to setup paper to shoot for groups.
I toyed with the idea of repainting the target, shooting a 10 round string, then taking a picture of it.
That would have sucked though as it took several minutes to drive up to the target position and the roads were really rough.
Several ruts that were 2-4 feet deep. I was puckered up just the 2 times we drove up and down to setup, then retrieve targets.
My buddies truck is severely customized for offroading, and it was scraping getting up and down the road.
This was at the bottom of the hill in a fairly flat spot...

Judging by the missing paint on the target after I was shooting for 20 minutes or so, there was an area that looked to be about 6" missing paint, a couple inches low and about an inch right of center.
I'll take it!

It was pretty windy. 12-15mph on the first day and about 5mph on day 2.
Day 2 was much easier :)

From the target down to the shooting position @ 820 yards. The shooting position is centered in the picture, the last grassy prairie without trees. If you look closely, you can see a little black speck. That's my buddy standing there.

The plate here is a permanent fixture at this place. As is the plate at 1160yards.

Here is my IPSC 12x20" plate setup at 820 yards.

The SWFA glass was surprisingly clear at range. If I really focused, I could see my individual hits on the steel, where the paint was missing.

The rifle is almost done.
I still plan on bedding the stock and painting the rifle.

The reloads are set in stone and won't change until this barrel is shot out and needs to be replaced.

If you've made it through this whole post, thanks for sharing my adventure with me! It's been a fun ride from starting with a $200 rifle and ending up here.

Here is a vid of me shooting 1160 and 820 yards. If you turn the volume up, you can hear all the hits at 1160yds.

https://youtu.be/fylPRzAufqk