Short version of long story, I've ended up with a Savage Bolt Action rifle. The 20" threaded barrel says Model 10 .308 Winchester. It has what looks like a Hogue over molded stock. I assumed it was a short action. But, the spacing between the action screws is 5" which tells me it should be a long action. A .30-06 round fits in the magazine just fine (which also tells me it's a long action). The magazine follower is binding up, the spring is bent all funny. I'm guessing someone swapped barrels at some point.

There also is no recoil lug.

I have a .30-06 rifle, was kind of wanting a .308 knock about truck gun.

So now what do I do? Buy recoil lug, new magazine box and follower for short action ?

or re-barrel to a long action caliber? If I leave it a long action I've wanted another 6.5x55 Sweede for a long time. (had one about 20 years ago and loved it). Will the Sweede fit a .308 bolt face? Other thought was to make a .257 Roberts out of it.

I have a barrel wrench and .308 go/nogo gauges already. Just not sure where to get the magazine parts for it.

Also with the missing recoil lug, is there any advantage to going with the thicker custom lugs over the factory? I see the factory lug at Midway is about 1/4 the price of the custom ones.

Thanks in advance.