Thread: Cheek [iece idea needed

Team Savage

Cheek [iece idea needed

Right now I have one that straps on and the straps hit the rear bag which throws a shot off.

Any ideas on another set up..It doesn't have to be very high,,,thanks.

"Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Make one of the karsten style adjustable cheek rests from kydex and a couple of bolts and knobs from the hardware store. Or you can buy a Karsten setup. It's the one they use at the factory on the long range hunter setup.
    It's really easy and there is lots of online how to. Kydex is really easy to work with. I have several different stock pack style setups and don't like any of em so I made one.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Here's my how-to on Kydex cheek pieces. Like bhj says, you're spoiled for choice when it comes to instructions on making Kydex cheek rests. A recent discussion raised the topic of using a Kydex cheek rest with self-adhesive Velcro fasteners. I suspect such an arrangement could work, but I've not tried it.

Depending on your stock material, another idea would be installing adjustable comb hardware, which a few people here have done.

Basic Member
    The kydex ones shown above are great. And they have the advantage of being adjustable. IF you want something even simpler, and don't need the adjustment, I've had good luck cutting sections of a Styrofoam cup, layering it up with double sided tape, then when I get the right height putting a layer of moleskin over that. Lasts quite a while.

Basic Member
    I have used a knee pad for sports

Pretty good video Doc. It shows the template process very well.
    Just used my existing stock to form mine.
    noname if you decide to go this route depending on where you get it a 12"x 12" sheet of Kydex is about $10. Knobs are about $2 each depending on style and source and bolts are under a buck. I like elevator bolts because they are flat.
    It really is a very stable cheek riser and a really easy and rewarding project. Just don't let the woman of the house catch you putting "plastic" in the oven for a minute LOL. The grand kids nieces and nephews shoot my little carbine a lot and it really helps put their heads in line with the scope.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    I used a piece of an old mouse pad, a piece of leather and some rawhide strips when I put a scope on a lever action. It was meant to be a temporary solution, but it worked so well that I did it for a bolt action rifle. Simply cut the leather to shape, punch holes along the bottom edges and tie it to the stock. Use layers of mouse pad to get the right height.

Basic Member
    If you don't want to drill holes in your stock,
    http://www.bradleycheekrest.com/Brad...EK-NEPTUNE.htm
    I copied(borrowed) this idea and made my own with the kydex sheets. Bought everything needed off of Amazon.