I was so stoked to land an Axis in 7mm-08 for cheap a few months ago in Gander Mountain's going out of business sales. But two trips to the range have me flummoxed.

The first time was with the gun in bone stock condition with a Center Point scope and aluminum rings on top. The accuracy was horrible. It shot something like 6-7 MOA. But the trigger was terrible. And the stock wasn't much better. I could actually watch the crosshairs dip as the stock would flex at the wrist as I tried to squeeze that trigger. I wasn't sure how much was the trigger and how much might be the flimsy stock rubbing the barrel somewhere.

So about $370 dollars later, I now have it in a Boyd's featherweight stock, with a Timney trigger, a Vortex Diamondback scope and Weaver steel rings. It looks so sexy it HAS to shoot great now, right?

I head out to the range today hoping to have a new deer rifle to open the season with tomorrow...and I am now getting almost 9"groups at 100 yards!

I'm shooting Federal Fusion in 140gr. No rhyme or reason for it. The group is spread out like a cantaloupe. It's roughly zeroed in the bull if you consider the whole spread, but the rounds are shooting high, low, left and right of the POA.

I'm no world class shot, but today I shot one MOA at 100 yards with my TC Compass in 6.5 Creedmoor using cheap Winchester Power Point ammo...using that same cheap Center Point scope and cheap aluminum rings I yanked of the Axis after the first outing.

I am pulling my hair out. I've checked the rings and bases. I've checked the action screws and verified torque at 35 inch pounds. The trigger lets off with a gnat's cough.

I expect some guns to like certain ammo better, particularly in regards to different grain weights. But I can't believe that Federal Fusion is so crappy out of this rifle that its best group is 9 MOA.

Any ideas? Am I justified in sending it in for warranty inspection? I've never had this bad an issue with a new bolt rifle.