Thread: First rounds at the range with new Axis XP, some issues

LarryM

First rounds at the range with new Axis XP, some issues

First time out with the new Axis. I couldn't get to an outdoor range today so I stopped in to an indoor 25 yard range. At that distance, you would expect super tight groups, right? Well, they were...8 inches to the right of the bull. lol I tried some windage adjustments on the cheap scope that came with it, no luck. A click or two, then a handful or two, no change in movement on the target. So unless I can find a hidden adjustment somewhere, I guess I'll be looking at a new scope.

Also, I was using American Eagle .223J 55 grain FMJ. 5 duds out of 20. Really? I'm wondering if that is a firing pin issue instead of an ammo issue. I have not taken the bolt apart yet to clean it, will be doing that now to see if there is anything obvious in there that might be causing misfires.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Package gun scopes are pretty cheap and chinsy, but it should adjust. If it's not, contact Savage and they should send you a new one. Personally I wouldn't waste my time with that though - I'd just buy myself a good quality scope for it whether the included one was working or not.

As for the light strikes, I would first try some other ammo before doing anything to the gun. Somewhere around here (Ammo board I believe) there's a discussion about some primers having thicker cups that can sometimes cause issues. I'm thinking they were Federal primers, but don't hold me to that as the grey matter between the ears isn't what it used to be.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

LarryM
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Once I got home I decided to bore sight the rifle (which I should have done before I went to the range, but Savage says they come bore-sighted for 100 yds) the old fashioned way (eyeball, no laser) and I found it took almost 3 complete turns of the windage knob to bring it in line with the bore. Wow. But now I should be on paper. I will hit the outdoor range next week and give this scope another try before I upgrade. I do like the reticle on it.

I do believe you are on the right track with the ammo. I will try a few different brands and see what happens.

LarryM
    I emailed Federal about the ammo issue, and they responded quickly. Simple resolution, buy the right ammo next time.

"Larry,

AE223j is built out the Lake City army Ammunition plant utilizing mil spec primers. The primer requires a harder strike for ignition. It is not uncommon to have misfires in a bolt action firearm as this ammunition is built for firearms with free floating firing pins."

Thanks

Federal
    BB

Basic Member
    With most scopes, 1 clicks will move the point of impact 1/4 inch at 100 yards. This means that at 25 yards one click only moves POI 1/16 inch. So to move your POI 8 inches at 25 yards will take 128 clicks.

Now, it's possible that your scope is trashed - but don't assume that until you try cranking in a bunch more clicks.

LarryM
    Yeah, I'm new to the scope thing. Old school iron sights here. But, my eyesight isn't what it used to be so I am becoming a scope guy.

pisgah as in NC? We're headed your way for a few days in December. Looks like a beautiful area. I live in Summerville SC, close to Charleston.

Exactly. Another way to think of it is that if 1 click is 1/4" at 100, halving the distance (50) also halves the movement. (1/8") Doubling the distance (200) doubles the movement. (1/2")

Savage actually uses a camera and monitor system for bore sighting...

Bore sighting the old fashion way (looking through the bore) is the most accurate of any method or tool out there that I've come across thus far. Even the collimater-type bore sighters like the Bushnell I reviewed recently is only going to get you in the ball park, and that's only if it's properly calibrated and hasn't been banged around since it was last calibrated.

Most also don't realize that you can have three different people bore scope the same rifle with the same method or tool (choose whichever you like) and their final settings will almost always be different simply due to head position and eye alignment differences in relation to the scope. This is exactly why so many people have trouble with guns they payed someone else to bore sight for them.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Several of my AXIS scopes came with hand tightened screws at best. I would personally never trust their claim it was setup at the factory. I boresight all my scopes against a neighbor's roofline that is ~80 yards away from my back window. Then the first time I take it to the range I use the target at 100 yards to confirm. I am always within 6" of center on the initial shot.

Basic Member
    My first shot with my AXIS in 7.62 x51 was about 4 inches left and a 2 inches high @100 yards. The scope 1/4" MOA adjust was right on and I was shooting in the bullseye with the next shots. For the price the AXIS is very accurate and just fun to shoot. The only issue is the bolt will sometimes bind up when loading a round, but it's only occasionally and easily cleared by loosening the magazine; hopefully this will go away with a little break-in.