Thread: Henry Long Ranger

Henry Long Ranger

Just bought one of these to review on the other site, and have to say I'm rather impressed with it right out of the box. Nice wood with checkering, wood to metal fit is excellent, nice cushy recoil pad, lever travel is super slick once past the point where the rotating bolt locks/unlocks - and even that's pretty smooth. Comes with a set of Skinner steel Weaver-style bases and a hammer extension for mounting a scope. I got the sighted model in .308 Winchester which has a nice (Marbles?) folding rear sight and a ramped front site with white bead. Detachable 4-round magazine is all metal and sits flush with the bottom of the receiver as it should. The magazine release button is on the right side and sits flush with the receiver so nothing sticking out to get caught on something or accidentally pushed when carrying the rifle.

It's a little heavier than expected for having an alloy receiver (8.5-lbs with scope). Drop at comb is a little high for the open sights as I have to slide my head back about 1/2" or so to get a proper sight picture, but the trade-off is that the extra height helps with eye alignment when using a scope. Pictures show a Leupold VX-R 1.25-4x HOG mounted, but I've since pulled that in favor of a Leupold FX-III 6x42 scope for accuracy testing. I'll probably go back to the VX-R or a similar 1.5-6x big-game type scope after the review, or run it without a scope as bigger scopes on lever guns just looks odd to me.

Hoping to get out and sight it in tomorrow. Have some of the new Federal Premium Gold Medal Berger 185gr Match and Edge TLR 175gr Big Game ammo to try, but want to pick up some cheap Ball ammo for sighting in. No sense in wasting the good stuff on that menial task.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01658.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	4031

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01660.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	4032

P.S: Hey Fred, I was wrong - they do offer this in .223/5.56 (not .22-250).
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Forgot to mention, the trigger is nice and light right out of the box. Pulling from the bottom of the shoe it averages about 3lb. 3oz. Pulling from the middle it averages about 3lb 10oz. Oh and NO STUPID MANUAL SAFETY! No half-cock either, just a transfer bar. Clearly Anthony Imperato doesn't let the legal team dictate his product's features like most other companies do.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Nice!

Basic Member
    That looks like a fun rifle!
    Last edited by LoneWolf; 11-11-2017 at 04:52 PM.

May have been sleeping BUT what other site do you post on ?

Basic Member
    Looks like a keeper!
    [QUOTE=scope eye;271337]the most I have been able to fit is 90gr of H4895.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Balljoint View Post
    May have been sleeping BUT what other site do you post on ?
    I started up the Guns Afield website 3-4 years ago to give me a place to do non-Savage stuff and break up the monotony. After 15 years of running this site I've gotten somewhat bored with playing around with Savage's. No forum over there (running one is headache enough!), just articles.

8. 11-21-2017, 02:05 AM
    Reason
    Ban Dodger - aka AK49shooter

Basic Member
    If they truly do come out with a 338 Federal next year I'm going to ask the wife very nicely if I can add one to my collection. This has recently caught my eye after inheriting a M88 and liking the handling of my grandfather's rifle.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Very Noice....Congrats
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....