Thread: Savage AXIS firing pin spring

Savage AXIS firing pin spring

Went to the range yesterday with my 6mm Dasher AXIS build and had an issue I have never had before....failed to fire. The firing pin did not make a mark on the primer on two of the rounds I had loaded.

After shooting the other four rounds without a problem I re-tried the failed rounds and they went off without a hitch!

I think I found the problem....I disassembled the bolt and found the firing pin spring had broken.

Does anyone have a led on where, other than Savage, I could get a replacement spring?

Thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Axis_Bolt.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	4011
    Welcome to my home.....FYI..... That locked door you kicked down was for your protection.... not mine!!

Basic Member
    That is how it is designed. I would clean, re assemble (dry) and try again.

Mb1500 I was going by this picture when I assumed the spring was broken....

But I guess you are correct... I dis-assembled another AXIS bolt and it looked the same!
    Cleaned both of them and now to see if the problem goes away!
    Thanks Mb

Name:	AxisBolt.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	4012
    Welcome to my home.....FYI..... That locked door you kicked down was for your protection.... not mine!!

It used to be a single piece, but the design was changed early on. That's how Axis springs are set up.

Team Savage
    is this a safety thing or what?why a 2 piece instead of one piece? makes me wonder if I want to buy that 243 I been creaming about..

As I recall the little "washer" section of spring that goes between the two larger spring sections was meant to isolate the rotation of the bolt handle during cycling from the threading of the bolt assembly screw. With a single piece spring there was a tendency for the spring to grab the bolt assembly screw and work to loosen it as the bolt was cycled repeatedly.

Check that, it's to stop the bolt from opening spontaneously! Fred explains.
    Last edited by DrThunder88; 11-04-2017 at 10:46 PM. Reason: New (old) info found

Basic Member
    getting back to earlier "issue" that got you lookin'...

If your firing pin did not even make a mark on your primer, then fired without a problem, there is only one possibility, assuming it is properly head spaced...

you're using an Accutrigger and did not fully depress the safety blade in the trigger shoe before pressing the shoe rearward.

Basic Member
    Or, you could have blanked a primer on the previous round. That will leave a small slug in the firing pin hole.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

foxx mine is not an Accutrigger but it does have a Rifle Basix in it.

Sharpshooter what is "blanked a primer"? Is this after you just about pierce a primer a piece of the primer gets into the firing pin hole?

It did happen again today after a thorough cleaning of the bolt from the last time. I did notice three of the rounds on different nodes had deep craters in the primers and some of the primers had sharp metal protruding up from the firing pin strike. The deep crater on the round to the right in the picture when fired had quite a bit of smoke come out of the bolt around the bolt handle...

The 6 on the left the book load range was 33.4 - 35.2c and was charged with 34.5 H4350 and set .005 off lands.
    The 6 on the right the book load range was 29.2 - 31.8 and was charged with 29.5 Varget and set .010 off lands.
    Both with CCI 400 primers and Sierra 107gr HPBT MK and Norma Brass.

Name:	2017-11-17_sm.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	4061

Back off on your load or look at the firing pin to hole clearance. Three primers look pierced at the minimum.

Robinhood I do agree they look pierced. But that is what is so puzzling I have loaded that same load in the past without these problems.

The 6 on the left the book load range was 33.4 - 35.2c and was charged with 34.5 H4350 and set .005 off lands.
    The 6 on the right the book load range was 29.2 - 31.8 and was charged with 29.5 Varget and set .010 off lands.
    Both with CCI 400 primers and Sierra 107gr HPBT MK and Norma Brass.
    Notice the 6 on the left was only 1.1gr over minimum and the 6 on the right was .3 over minimum.
    I'm wondering if the pierced problem is the CCI Primers? Can't find my data but I do think I was using the CCI BR4 primers before but not sure.
    I still don't know what caused the firing pin to not strike the primers again, I did a real good cleaning and did not add any grease or oil on the bolt before this outing....

Back off on your load or look at the firing pin to hole clearance
    Are you referring to the firing pin protrusion? If so I did and it measured .52.

Thanks all for the input!