Thread: 6X45 build from start.

6X45 build from start.

I'd had this going on the 110 centerfire page, but photobucket is crap and so I'm starting over with my build thread. More pictures and less talk. I'm sorry about the quality of some of the pictures as a lot were taken with cell phones.

I ran across this Savage 10 on Gunbroker and I could tell something wasn't right with it, it stated it was an Accustock rifle. However, I could tell from the pictures it wasn't using the proper recoil lug. I took the risk and I got it cheap $250 before shipping and fees.

Well it was an Accustock but as you can see they tried to modify the tapered recoil lug and the bedding block to fit the action and stock together and rather poorly at that.

I had purchased two 6mm #3 contour 1:7 twist blanks for X-Caliber on a group buy for $300. Called X-Caliber up and asked if they'd thread, chamber, cut the barrel to 24" and crown it for me, and they sent back a price I couldn't refuse. So back one of my barrels went to be chambered in 6X45 mm, and I started my parts search while I was waiting for the barrel.

I decided to find a new Accustock and recoil lug. I wanted a new Accustock because the one I had the barrel channel is much larger than the barrel contour I was going to be using. Anyway I found a Accustock on another forum for $50 shippend and picked up a factory recoil lug for $5 off of Midway in the white.

I got the parts relatively quickly but had to wait about 8 weeks for the barrel to come back. When I got the barrel back I mocked everything up and test fitted it. Only one problem it was coming in heavier than I had hoped, I was looking for a 7lb rifle and under 8.25lbs when I added optics.

Sorry can't remove the duplicate picture, will continue on another post.

Part II

Since the rifle was heavier than I hoped for instead of doing the cheap route and cutting the barrel back to 20" or less I decided to send it off to Twisted Barrel to have the bolt and barrel fluted. I was hoping to have him skeletonize or lighten the action, but Twisted only does that on Remington 700 and Howa 1500 actions. Anyway I got the barrel and bolt body back and all I can say is Twisted did a great job and fast turn around. I know everyone is going to want to know how much weight this took off, but I lost my paper work with before weights so I can't tell you exactly.

I still wanted my action lightened and I found a gunsmith in named Steve Field in Roberta GA who was willing to do the work for me. I had taken pictures off the web of the Savage LWT hunter action and sent that along with my action and told him to do something similar. This is what I got.

Here it is all mocked up again with weight. I lost a total of 9.8 ounces getting my rifle down to where I hoped it would have started. Total cost was right at $32 an ounce, so this isn't a cheap process costing me just over $313 for all the metal work.

To be continued!

I had to wait awhile as work got really busy and I had to save some money back up to finish the rifle. I also decided why I was waiting to get PT&G parallel ground recoil lugs .187" thick to replace the factory recoil lug. I thought I'd file it to fit so I bought two in case I screwed up, saw how much work it would be with a file so whoever finishes my rifle gets to do that work. I also ordered a bolt handle and lift kit from Kevin Rayhill while I was waiting.

So when it came time I sent it back to Steve to finish with fitting the recoil lug, Hydrodipping the stock, and a Cerakote finish on all the metal. Since I mainly will use this on the plains with a lot of sage so I picked Prairie Ghost Camo print pattern 169, and based off that pattern I chose Sage Green for the Cerakote.

Since Steve had never used that print before he said he was going to wait until it came back before Cerakoting, I'm sure glad he did because Sage Green would have been a mistake. I left it up to him to pick the best color for the metal and I think he made a great choice.

The rifle should be here sometime next week, hope to have some pictures of groups posted soon.

Build is as follows:

Savage 10 action with DBM
    Savage Accustock Prairie Ghost Camo WTP
    PT&G Recoil Lug
    Rayhill bolt handle and lift kit
    X-Caliber 1:7 Twist 5R rifled 6mm barrel #3 contour 6X45 Chamber
    Barrel and Bolt fluting done by Twisted Barrel
    Action work, Cerakote, final assembly done by Steve Field
    Hydrodip (unknown)