Thread: Nosler Solid Base Bullets

Nosler Solid Base Bullets

Does anyone have experence with these? I have some to try in my 22-250 they are 60 grain & a fellow gave me a box to try. He says he has about 500 of them and doesn't use them and if they work for me I can have them. I use IMR 4064 in my 250s and have for a lot of years, so that is what I will try first.

Thanks ahead of time for any help.

BTBook

Kawabuggy

Re: Nosler Solid Base Bullets

Will your -250 stabilize a 60 grain bullet? Because of the slow twist 1:14" in most -250's about the heaviest bullet you can shoot is 55 grain. I tried the 60's in my gun previously and they would not shoot worth a darn.. I ended up giving a bunch of them away because of that.

I would only load up 10 or so just to make sure that they will shoot well out of your gun. It sucks loading up a bunch of bullets only to find out that you have to pull them back apart.

The solid base bullets use the same profile (long ogive) as the ballistic tip bullets. I think they use the same cup, just different internal make-up, and different tips.

I'm shooting the solid base bullets out of my .243 and getting excellent results accuracy wise.

The reason I am trying them is my Savage has a 1-12 twist and it seems to do better with 55s than 50s so I thought maybe the 60s would be it. My Remington has a 1-14 twist and will shoot either well.

Basic Member

I had some 65 gr sierras given to me. I called Sierra and the tech told me to try them and I would probably like them. I did and I love them! 1-14" barrel.
    Charlie
    laportecharlie

Basic Member

I have a Ruger #1V in .22-250 and I used to shoot a lot of 60 Solid Base bullets because the throat of the barrel was so long. They were very accurate in the slow twist barrel. The fact that it is a boat tail bullet will help them to stabilize.