Thread: From Southern Indiana

From Southern Indiana

Hello all:
    I am new to Savage and to Bolt Action's bigger than a .22cal. I retired from the Army 22 1/2 years ago and as you can expect I used Auto's extensively. When I retired from the Army I took a job in Private Security that I ended up retiring from and made the switch to Tactical Revolver then to Auto Pistol. I bought an AR a few years ago and then looked for a place to shoot and came upon a club that has a really good outdoor range. At Christmas last year I received an email from outdoor adventures with the Springfield M1A for $1100, I had the range, I was buying the rifle, I needed something to do. In late January an email came from the club for a CMP/NRA High Power Clinic and I went and started shooting in Matches. I have been reading about the 6.5 Creedmoor round and decided to give it a try, so I bought my first Bolt Action Savage Axis in 6.5. My first shot out of the box I was 1" lower left (7 O'Clock) made a few adjustments and was in the Center at 100 yards. I am not a hunter so I am looking at some kind of competition or longer range shooting. I figured the best way to improve my shooting was to improve the Stock, and saw there were limited options for the AXIS, then I read an article on here about the MDT Chassis, so I bought one and the parts to finish it out. I have shot in once at 200 yards and my first shots were on target in good groups (well for me). I decided to improve the Buttstock so I am upgrading to a Magul UBS Gen 3 to see if it helps. I have a few aggravating Back and neck injuries from the Army, so my shooting suffers, but I am having fun in my new hobby.

Team Savage
    Welcome aboard

Welcome!
    They say "Don't try this at home"... so I'm headed over to a friend's house.

Welcome from northeast georgia
    Ackley was right all along

Team Savage
    howdy,thanks for your service

Welcome!
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways