Thread: Boyd Stock Questions

bigdogg2278

Boyd Stock Questions

Just picked up an Axis 6.5 Creedmoor and want to switch the stock right away to a Boyds couple quick questions 6.5 is short action correct? Have any of you guys had an problems with your stock from Boyds i read a few reviews and a few had ordering issues with Boyds telling them tough luck even when it was Boyds fault. I am debating the thumbhole and prairie stock right now it will be mostly used for hunting what are the pros/cons for the guys that use either of those stocks? Thanks look forward to being part of the savage group.

Basic Member
    Welcome.

Boyds make pretty good stocks for the money. THey are getting much quicker, too. Expect 3 weeks to fill your order. If they make a mistake on your order, they will make it right.

Don't expect 100 drop in perfect fit. You might get lucky, though. Personally, if it were mine, I would suggest you plan to pillar and bed the action. ( If you can do it yourself. ) If you can't, it will likely be good enough for general hunting purposes for quite a while.

Also, if you want checkering, I would suggest either the Platinum or the Heritage rather than the Prairie Hunter or Classic. PH and Classic do not have wrap around checkering on the forearm, Heritage and Platinum do.

I've shared my thoughts on Boyds' Axis stocks before, but they are still a pretty good choice for an upgrade. The V3 Tactical upgrade to this upgrade is something I wouldn't do without.

Basic Member

Boyd Stock Questions

I have the thumb hole stock for my Savage 223. I had to work the stock just a little to get the safety to work. Other than that, it was plug and play. It took three weeks to arrive. I'm very pleased with it.

Boyd's has their Axis Sporter stock on sale for $80.

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/acces...c-birch-f34a2f

Basic Member
    Pros and cons of each model??

I like the thumbhole when just foolin around shooting on a bench. Very comfortable and shoots well. However, for deer hunting, I MUCH prefer traditional stocks.
    #1 Thumb safety is hard to reach on t-hole. Have to remove hand from stock to hit it.
    #2 Dedicated right or left handed. I shoot both ways, depending on which side of me the deer might be coming from, etc.
    #3 Not good for stalking, in my opinion. Pulling up, hitting the safety and shooting a running deer in the swamp or woods just doesn't seem doable to me.

Other than that, I like them.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Pros and cons of each model??

I like the thumbhole when just foolin around shooting on a bench. Very comfortable and shoots well. However, for deer hunting, I MUCH prefer traditional stocks.
    #1 Thumb safety is hard to reach on t-hole. Have to remove hand from stock to hit it.
    #2 Dedicated right or left handed. I shoot both ways, depending on which side of me the deer might be coming from, etc.
    #3 Not good for stalking, in my opinion. Pulling up, hitting the safety and shooting a running deer in the swamp or woods just doesn't seem doable to me.

Other than that, I like them.
    I'd have to agree with that assessment. I really like my thumb hole stock, but it is a pure target rifle. I wouldn't want to have to maneuver and shoot with it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney View Post
    Boyd's has their Axis Sporter stock on sale for $80.

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/acces...c-birch-f34a2f

Looks like the one that comes on the hardwood models. Fit and finish is excellent for the price IMO.

bigdogg2278
    6.5 Creed is a short action correct want to order the correct stock?

Basic Member
    ^^^Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Mb1500 View Post
    Looks like the one that comes on the hardwood models. Fit and finish is excellent for the price IMO.
    Yeah, figure I can't go wrong for the price.

I Likey...Congrats

bigdogg2278
    Just an update ordered the stock on Thursday and it was sitting on my door step on Saturday already happy with the turn around and i didnt need to make any mods on the stock which i was very happy about. Only thing i need to do is get a new screw where the mag clip screws into the gun the factory screw is now to short.

Basic Member
    Awesome. You must have gone with the one of those classic hardwoods they had already made up and on sale.

bigdogg2278
    No i went with the prairie hunter in the forest camo which must be something they stock or they were slow and i got lucky