Thread: A22-LR ammo. Non-HV OK? Norma TAC-22?

Basic Member

A22-LR ammo. Non-HV OK? Norma TAC-22?

I would like to try Norma TAC-22 (1100fps) in my A22-LR. Will this SV ammo cycle really well?
    (Gun is very new. And I can not find a 50/bx locally and I do not want to waste $ on 500/bx.)

Also, Norma TAC-22 has a rep for being oily (as well as very accurate.) Will this gum up the mag and/or chamber?

It should shoot and cycle just fine. The A22 shouldn't have the delayed blow-back like the magnums do, it should just be a standard blow-back design like any other 22 semi-auto.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I shoot the Norma TAC 22 black box in my Anschutz 64MPR, good ammo, and it doesn't gum things up. I do clean it every 50-100 rds but that's just me. My 64 likes both the black box and white box TAC ammo.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx2rk View Post
    I shoot the Norma TAC 22 black box in my Anschutz 64MPR, good ammo, and it doesn't gum things up. I do clean it every 50-100 rds but that's just me. My 64 likes both the black box and white box TAC ammo.
    I snake after every outing without fail. Not into teardowns unless I know/learn that a gun needs something better. Sooooo... with "oily" TAC-22 (unlike MiniMag's) will snake be plenty of cleaning... or will/should I open it up after every outing (I almost always shoot 100rdns with outing.)

Any info on getting an "oily" mag with Tac-22?

I sure liked the KISS aspect of my 64. But after sending it back twice to Savage for light-strike issues and still had the problem with only a total of 1K rounds, Cabela's bought it back at full price and sent it packing. So that is how I now have an A22-LR.

I run the well lubed TAC-22 and others through my 10/22 all the time with no issues, as do scores of other competition shooters (most of your higher dollar 22LR ammo is lubed). Don't see why it would be any different running through an A22. Just like with most any 22 semi-auto, if/when you start running into cycling issues (FTF, FTE, stovepiping, etc) you know it's time for a thorough cleaning.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Tested the Tac-22 out today and it wasn't very accurate in my rifle. A good deal of flyers for no reason and pretty slow compared to others. Glad I only bought 500 to try.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
    I snake after every outing without fail. Not into teardowns unless I know/learn that a gun needs something better. Sooooo... with "oily" TAC-22 (unlike MiniMag's) will snake be plenty of cleaning... or will/should I open it up after every outing (I almost always shoot 100rdns with outing.)

Any info on getting an "oily" mag with Tac-22?

I sure liked the KISS aspect of my 64. But after sending it back twice to Savage for light-strike issues and still had the problem with only a total of 1K rounds, Cabela's bought it back at full price and sent it packing. So that is how I now have an A22-LR.
    My 64MPR is a bolt action, and I single feed. The mag is in the rifle just so I don't drop too many shells down the hole when cycling the bolt.