Thread: Mark I FVT care and maintenance recommendations

Team Savage

Mark I FVT care and maintenance recommendations

Three months ago I took delivery of a dozen brand new Mark I FVT rifles for my local gun club. We use the rifles once a month at my local gun club to teach between 1 and 2 dozen kids the fundamentals of rifle shooting using the NRA Marksmanship 4 Position Rifle Qualification Program. Each rifle is fired at least 100 times each month --- not sure if that qualifies as 'hard use" or not. Is anyone willing to share a maintenance regimen as well as the products you utilize? I'd like to minimize the potential for surface rust from all the handling by getting ahead of it if at possible. These rifles are a long-term investment for the club so keeping them maintained is a priority. I've never had to maintain this many rimfire rifles before, so any suggestions and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Exterior care is really going to be dependent on your local environment and how they're stored. If you're in a more humid environment they'll need more frequent attention to keep them from rusting, whereas in an arid environment you can get away with less frequent attention. Whether they're stored in a climate controlled area or not will also make a difference.

As for bore maintenance, 100 rounds/month is nothing for a rimfire. Personally I would just run an oiled patch down each bore, followed by a dry patch or two after each training session. Then maybe every 4-6 months give the bore a good thorough cleaning with solvent.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Team Savage
    Mr. Furious, thank you for the input. I do live in a warm humid environment --- the Panhandle of FL. I swear it seems like faint surface rust will begin within hours of use if don't wipe all the rifles down with a very light coat of oil as soon we are finished. That's not a poke at Savage or these rifles --- they shoot accurately and have functioned flawlessly. They have been temperamental with only one brand of ammunition so far. I was just wondering if there is a better oil or alternative product to use when wiping them down. Currently I use Rem Oil because its the only gun oil on my bench.