Thread: Cabelas 12FV in .223 - ammo selection

Cabelas 12FV in .223 - ammo selection

Howdy folks,

I lurk a lot, read often, but don’t post in message boards all that often. However I’m thinking this might be of benefit to some folks who recently picked up a 12FV in .223 or are patiently awaiting theirs.

I can’t let anything sit stock, I have to tinker on new rifles...personalize them I guess. That being said, here’s my “finished” (for now, I’m sure you know how that goes) Cabelas 12FV chambered in .223.

I gathered up a bunch of different ammo of various bullet types and grains and hit the range today. Broke in the new rifle, and did an initial zero at 100 yds with American Eagle 55 grain ball. Group was about 1.2”. Then the fun started!

I wanted to see what my rifle liked, and I quickly saw it liked heavier bullets. Basically anything 64 grain or higher makes it happy, with the 77 grain Win Match apparently being it’s soul mate. Everything was a three shot group from 100 yards. I’m going to explore some other 75 and 77 grain rounds and some 80 if I can get some and see how she does. I’ve got some Black Hills 77 on the way.

Just thought the ammo testing might help some folks!
    Last edited by GizmoSD; 10-27-2017 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Photobucket stinks

Basic Member
    Interesting! Good looking rifle.

My FV12 likes the lighter bullets, shoots the 50-60's well at 100 yds.

Interesting! I’ll push a jag down mine tonight and measure the exact twist. I wonder how much fluctuation there is between different rifles of the same make/model.

A full half twist is normal variance. On a random check of a rifle or two you likely won't see that large of a variance. But it is common, even in the brands that cost well more.

**** Photobucket. Get on Postimages.org

BTW. Most accurate factory 223 ammo I've tried is the 77gr Federal Gold Medal Match. Hornady TAP 75gr BTHP was pretty good too.
    In my Rem700 223 with 9" twist.

Quote Originally Posted by GizmoSD View Post
    Interesting! I’ll push a jag down mine tonight and measure the exact twist. I wonder how much fluctuation there is between different rifles of the same make/model.
    A bore brush conforms and spins more true with the rifling compared to a patch on a jag.

Thanks for the postimages.org info, I edited the original post and it looks like it’s working now.

Still haven’t got around to measuring the real twist, but I’ll get it soon. The local gun shop’s gunsmith told me he thinks the 77 grain round will keyhole/tumble at 300-ish+ yards. What do you guys think? I find it hard to believe that’s the case if it’s grouping so well at 100.