Thread: barrel swap ??

Team Savage

barrel swap ??

My question is how are some guys swaping barrels in 15 minutes? On my mod 10
    I have to remove the scope and base to be able to use the barrel vice..So what am I doing wrong
    or is the 15 minutes all crap...

I'd call it (mostly) crap....

Once done a few times, the barrel change itself can pretty easily be done in 15-20 minutes, but all the peripheral tasks add up.
    They say "Don't try this at home"... so I'm headed over to a friend's house.

Not crap! Use a rear entry wrench! Just so long as your front base screw doesn’t protrude into the bbl threads. The first go around it’s usually a bit more labor intensive

Basic Member
    I've never seen it, but I've read claims about people who lock the barrel nut to the barrel either with Locktite or with a set screw. They then use a strap wrench to unscrew the barrel without removing any other component, screw on the new one (also with a pre-set barrel nut), load 'er up, and fire away.

You could easily do that in 15 minutes, but I'd rather bring a second gun.

Some claim just screwing on the barrel "hand-tight" works just fine. Me? I like the idea of 50 ft pounds torque on the barrel nut the old fashioned way. I also like the idea of fiddling around as long as it takes to set the head space just right.

Team Savage
    appreciate your replies..i have a one piece base which covers the barrel nuy so always have to remove the base or cut the base back an inch which I hate to do..

Quote Originally Posted by noname View Post
    appreciate your replies..i have a one piece base which covers the barrel nuy so always have to remove the base or cut the base back an inch which I hate to do..
    here is how it is done. only difference is the savage barrel nut is glued in place creating the shoulder of the barrel and properly headspacing it. this barrel has a conventional shoulder

first 2 videos on this page

https://www.google.com/search?client...h=332&dpr=2.63

Basic Member
    I've done it but usually we take our time just to be sure we have it right.

Banned
    I don't like to rush it, I know you can, but what's the point? Even going slow I made one mistake and not a clue how I did it.

No crisis, head space too long and no boom. Easy enough to fix and I could see it on the gauges latter.

Its not like we are going into a gun fight with these and have to do a barrel change for any reason (YRMV)

Quote Originally Posted by jglover_81 View Post
    I've done it but usually we take our time just to be sure we have it right.
    with a barrel vice and rear entry action wrench?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...OEC9nIoVOcymxr

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...zAr58yU6unyKQy

Team Savage
    COOL

Basic Member
    My question is how are some guys swaping barrels in 15 minutes?
    I have to remove the scope and base to be able to use the barrel vice..
    or is the 15 minutes all crap...
    15-20 minutes is a possibility depending on the tools being used, ability and experience. Post factory installed barrels for swaps I only use these two tools and a 5/16" allen without having to remove the scope and or mount(s).

They go back together using the same tools. Time? I haven't timed myself but I'd say 15-20 minutes is within the norm. Using those tools I've already swapped barrels on a shooting bench at the range, the tailgate of my truck and last Thursday evening an '06 barrel for a 280 on the carpeted floor of my man cave.

Bill

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by m12lrs View Post
    No we have an action vise that we use. We debated making a pair of pliers to hold the action just for quick swaps (after the initial loosening of the factory barrel) but gave up on that a long time ago.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post
    15-20 minutes is a possibility depending on the tools being used, ability and experience. Post factory installed barrels for swaps I only use these two tools and a 5/16" allen without having to remove the scope and or mount(s).

They go back together using the same tools. Time? I haven't timed myself but I'd say 15-20 minutes is within the norm. Using those tools I've already swapped barrels on a shooting bench at the range, the tailgate of my truck and last Thursday evening an '06 barrel for a 280 on the carpeted floor of my man cave.

Bill
    where to get a rear entry wrench??

Davidson makes a rear entry action wrench for savage. Brownells has them

PMA tools also has one for savage

http://www.pmatool.com/panda-and-rem...action-wrench/

Basic Member
    I made that one moons ago when I was into Rem switch barrel guns. It started life as a 12"-1/2 drive extension with the 1/2 drive end cut off I milled a 1/8" deep slot on both sides then tig'd the lugs in them. I used the 1/2" extension so I could use the T handle in the pics.

Bill

Basic Member
    Due to the low cost of Wheeler action wrenches, I simply carved out a place in the wrench for the picatinny rail to fit. So I don't need to remove it to swap barrels. I also do things a little different... I don't need to use a barrel vise, except for that first removal of a shouldered barrel from a receiver. Otherwise, I clamp the handle of the action wrench into the vise with the barrel pointing straight up. (Pardon the Remington 700 in the picture... it's a Remage conversion that goes together the same way a Savage does.)

Basic Member
    I’ll have to run a timer next time but pretty sure 15min is about average accept for retiming my Brake...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I don't think racing through a barrel change is wise. I take my time in order to make sure that everything is correct; must get the head space right. recheck all base and scope torque values, torque the actionscrews, and finally bore sight the scope. When I get to the range the sight in can be done with much more confidence.

Basic Member
    It's not rushing, just have an efficient system. It's works, it's repeatable, and I'm comfortable with it. But I agree with you 100%! If you need to take an hour to feel 100% confident in your work then you should take an hour! If you're comfortable with 10-20min than so be it! Safety is always #1!

Basic Member
    I wouldn't call it racing through anything. It's just after you do it a bunch of times, you get rather efficient at it. I still check go and no-go on every barrel swap, still torque the barrel nut to the same value, still check everything else over before putting the barreled action back into the chassis. It is just a simple set of tasks that takes me about 15 minutes to carry out. So, I don't find the claims of being able to do it quickly to be out of line.

Edit: Just timed myself. Took 22 minutes. A little longer than usual, since the 243 Win barrel on the rifle had never been removed since it was put on at the factory. Threads were rusty (I was expecting this, as there were rust stains on the synthetic stock around the recoil lug...previous owner must have been hunting in the rain) and I had to switch around to using a barrel vise to break the barrel loose. Cleaned the receiver threads, threaded on a 308 Win barrel I just purchased from another forum user, head spaced, torqued, checked again with go/no-go, and put it back in the chassis. Bore sight it tomorrow and test fire the barrel. Nothing dramatic, just another in a long series of barrel changes.

Quote Originally Posted by m12lrs View Post
    you guys are still missing the point of these videos

no need to take the barreled action out of the stock

no need for a barrel nut wrench

no need to headspace with your go/no go gauge

Plenty of different ways to skin this cat, no one any better or worse than the other. Why some feel speed should be a factor is beyond me, it's not a NASCAR pit stop.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    Plenty of different ways to skin this cat, no one any better or worse than the other. Why some feel speed should be a factor is beyond me, it's not a NASCAR pit stop.
    If you ain’t first, you’re last!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I just changed a M12 from a M112 bbl to a M12 bbl, both 223. I use a barrel vice and nut wrench. Took scope off, stock off, got tool box, set up vice, bbl off, bbl on, headspace, stock on, scope on all tools away, no rushing-very careful. 26 minutes even. I clean bbl, nut and action threads each time; oil all.
    joe b.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    Well, if you are getting paid for a task and have a long list of other tasks to do, then speed is a factor. Time is money. This probably only applies to a few folks.

I think what the OP was asking initially was why it was taking him so long to do this task when others do it so quickly. And the answers provided point out the various tricks used. Such as using wrenches that act on the bolt lugs instead of the main receiver ring, modified wrenches that don't require removal of scope mounts, etc. And, of course the experience of doing the task over and over. Speed is an indicator of "Ease". Whether you take 15 minutes, or 15 hours, is entirely up to the person doing the work.

This argument was one of the principle reasons I transitioned to a barrel nut approach to barreling rifles. Having spent hours on fitting Mausers, M1's, 03's, Remingtons, and Weatherby/Howa barrels, it is rather refreshing to work on one that doesn't take hours to do. If it weren't for the aesthetics of having that big honking nut in front of the receiver, I would do it that way all the time.