There's going to be a few questions in this thread.

First off I have a 1:9 26" bull barrel off a model 12 Savage chambered in .223 that is threaded for a brake/can. The barrel one holes 69 SMK's "all day long" It's been a while since I had it on a rifle and I don't have my notes handy so I can't say what my load, FPS, etc. were.

Question 1, Can anyone with experience recommend a smith to rechamber this barrel to 22-250 or 22-250 AI for a reasonable fee?

Question 2, Pros & Cons to 22-250 AI in a 9 twist besides more speed, less barrel life?

Question 3, I would like to go ahead and shorten it up and make it a dedicated suppressor barrel so how short could I go with a can and not loose too much velocity?

Question 4, My youngest son is in the first year of a 2 year precision machining program. Is there a good reason this is not something he could handle with the guidance of his instructor? If he FUBARs it it won't be the end of the world I'll just buy a prefit like a lot of you are going to recommend I do anyway. It's more about giving him a project for the experience and having something he machined on a rifle I put together.

I know it would probably be cheaper to call James @ NSS like I've done several other times and buy a barrel but that's not really the point here.

Thanks-Dave