Thread: Scope Mount Question

bigdogg2278

Scope Mount Question

One other question I picked up the Axis II package so it comes with the scope rail etc with it already, i picked up a Vortex Crossfire 30MM scope so its a little more of a pain to find rings since everything seems to be 1" rings. My question is will any 30MM ring that fits on a Picatinny rail work or should i get a new rail also?

Basic Member
    Any quality rings will work as long as they are the correct height to ensure the objective does not bottom out on the barrel. Should be too much of a problem with the components described though.

30mm rings are pretty common in their own right these days. It shouldn't be too hard to find a set for your scope unless your only option is what's on the shelf at Billy-Bob's Bait and Tackle.

The difference between Weaver and Picatinny rails is subtle but not too difficult to understand. A Weaver ring will fit on both a Weaver and Picatinny rail. Most rings that are sold as Picatinny are actually Weaver, the only difference being Picatinny rings are allowed a wider, deeper recoil lug. The times you'll run into problems are: first, when trying to use a Picatinny ring with a larger recoil lug on a Weaver rail with narrower slots; and second, when using a Picatinny mount that has more than one lug or crossbolt.

One other thing to consider is bolt handle clearance around the eyepiece. Axises seem to have a bigger problem with interference between the bolt handle and eyepiece than other bolt guns.