Thread: Trigger malfunction

Basic Member

Trigger malfunction

I've got a mod. 12 LPV, 6.5 Creedmoor with the Accutrgger. Sat. I was deerhunting, when I took the safety off for a shot on a doe, apparently I only moved the safety to the center position and pulled the trigger, the gun didn't go off. When I realized I didn't have the safety all the way off I moved the safety all the way forward and heard a click and the trigger was locked up. The firing pin did not drop. I lifted the bolt to recock which it did, took the shot and got the deer. I've been able to do it again but not all the time. With the safety in the middle position, pull the trigger, move the safety to the off position, a click and it's uncocked.

What's going on, bad trigger?

65Whelen,

I just went down this road trying to figure out why I was getting light firing pin strikes... Do you have the red colored target trigger? Look up here http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...ng-pin-strikes and read what I had issues with, I posted a blog response from another guy who was having your problem... It boiled down to the trigger pull weight and the trigger pull itself. It may not be your exact issue, but it will give you a starting point to troubleshoot it.

Sure is frustrating I know... I had that specific scenario playing out in my head (although it was a big buck or bull) when I started having those similar issues... Good luck and I hope you get it figured out.

Basic Member
    The safety screw is out of adjustment.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

65Whelen, If SharpShooter is saying the safety screw is out of adjustment... Then there's a 90%+ chance that is the issue... He figured my problem out "first thing"... He should just change his name to "Straight up SHARP" or something like that.

The guys knows his Stuff!

My question for people who have had issues with the accutrigger,... Do you know how the safety blade works on the accutrigger?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    The safety screw is out of adjustment.
    Thanks, I'll take look at it. But, is it obvious if it's adjusted properly?

It sounds like you just need to twist it a hair.(tighten) Too much and the safety will bind and if you get carried away you might break parts.(seems I recall guys doing that anyway)

you just want the safety to travel freely, but prevent it from allowing the sear to trip while engaged if trigger pulled in "safe".

Edit: there will likely be a plastic ball wedged in the recess where the adjustment screw is located. Drill a hole and use a small dental pick or similar to remove it. Then adjust.

There really should be a sticky on all the different trigger parts for the accutrigger. My apologies in advance if this exists already.

Basic Member
    If the pull weight on an Accutrigger is set too light, sometimes the trigger will decock when the main part of the trigger bow is touched, or it can decock when the bolt is closed firmly. The cure for that is to increase the trigger pull weight. Maybe that's something akin to what you are experiencing. A gunsmith would be the best option.

Look up Sharp Shooter Supply and then figure out who sharpshooter is.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyShackle View Post

There really should be a sticky on all the different trigger parts for the accutrigger. My apologies in advance if this exists already.

http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...r-Part-Numbers

I was was aware of that, ......however.... it doesn’t list all of the parts associated. Maybe some of them aren’t considered “trigger” parts and rather maybe “safety” or something.

An exploded parts diagram possibly. I know where a nice one exists but I’m not sure about linking the OP to the forum. Just sayin.

Basic Member
    Welcome to the world of Accutriggers. When adjusted and used correctly, they work as advertised. Otherwise, issues are experienced.