Thread: Blind Mag to FLoor Plate

Basic Member

Blind Mag to FLoor Plate

Quick Question - I have a 7mm rem mag barreled action. I'm ready to get this gun built. I'm looking for stocks (On Numerich), and found a couple I like, however they're for floorplates, rather than blind mags.

Can I just buy the floor plate equipment, from numerich, and not have to buy anything else? I currently have the follower, and the mag box.

Or will i need to buy other parts to facilitate this?

Thanks,
    Isaiah

Basic Member
    Are you wanting to keep it a blind magazine or convert to a detachable? But other than needing the mag box lower I think you should be good for doing the conversion. Just make sure the stock matches your top vs bottom bolt release setup.

Basic Member
    I'm indifferent.

The stocks i was looking at was for a floor plate. Currently I have a blind mag. So the question is, if the stock supports a floor plate, is all I'll need is the floor plate? Or will i need to replace the mag box, and follower?

Basic Member
    Oh...so you are not talking DBM metal, but rather hinged floorplate? In that case I have no idea. I assume the hinged plate comes with a spring and I don't know if it matches up to an internal magazine follower or not.

Are we talking about a newer round-top action or an older flat-top action? Pictures of what you have and links to the stocks you are looking at would go a long way towards helping answer your question due to the multitude of variations offered over the years.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    It's a newer round-top action.

Here are pictures of the action/mag box.

Here is the stock i was looking at.

I had called numerich, and they had told me it is for a hinged floor plate, not blind mag.

That’s a stagger feed box?

whats the screw spacing?

Basic Member
    Long action screw spacing is the same for center/staggered. Is the mag box "attached" to the action?

Well, that photo of the stock doesn't help much as it doesn't show the bottom where the hole for the magazine is which is what I was hoping to see. Based on what I can see I'm guessing it's the older design, not the current production HFP hardware. It would still work for a blind mag setup IF Numrick's has the old blind mag Floorplate and Floorplate spacer to sell you as well. They would be items #73 and #75 in this schematic diagram:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...110-parts-list

Many don't know it, but Savage first came out with a hinged floorplate (HFP) design back in the early 1970's. The design was flawed in that whenever the gun was fired the recoil would open the HFP and dump the remaining contents of the magazine onto the ground. Very few made it out of the factory before they were pulled from production, and those that did make it out were recalled and replaced with a blind or DBM model. As such very few remain in existence, kind of the "Holy Grail" of early Savage 110 magazine hardware. Here's a pic of the original design from a 1972 sales brochure:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1972 Early Savage Hinged Floorplate.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	250.2 KB 
ID:	3922

Up until that time Savage 110 stocks had a hole completely through them for the magazine and a metal floorplate and spacer was used to cover said hole on blind mag models. This floorplate was similar in design to the DBM and HFP bottom metal, though I can't say for certain if the inlets for all three are exactly the same (someone else here might have that info). As such, if you could find such a floorplate and accompanying spacer for a long-action you could use that HFP stock as a blind mag stock.

Here's a pic of the blind mag floorplate:

Name:	CoverPlate.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	3924
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    Well, that photo of the stock doesn't help much as it doesn't show the bottom where the hole for the magazine is which is what I was hoping to see. Based on what I can see I'm guessing it's the older design, not the current production HFP hardware. It would still work for a blind mag setup IF Numrick's has the old blind mag Floorplate and Floorplate spacer to sell you as well. They would be items #73 and #75 in this schematic diagram:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...110-parts-list

Many don't know it, but Savage first came out with a hinged floorplate (HFP) design back in the early 1970's. The design was flawed in that whenever the gun was fired the recoil would open the HFP and dump the remaining contents of the magazine onto the ground. Very few made it out of the factory before they were pulled from production, and those that did make it out were recalled and replaced with a blind or DBM model. As such very few remain in existence, kind of the "Holy Grail" of early Savage 110 magazine hardware. Here's a pic of the original design from a 1972 sales brochure:

Name:	1972 Early Savage Hinged Floorplate.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	250.2 KB 
ID:	3922

Up until that time Savage 110 stocks had a hole completely through them for the magazine and a metal floorplate and spacer was used to cover said hole on blind mag models. This floorplate was similar in design to the DBM and HFP bottom metal, though I can't say for certain if the inlets for all three are exactly the same (someone else here might have that info). As such, if you could find such a floorplate and accompanying spacer for a long-action you could use that HFP stock as a blind mag stock.

Here's a pic of the blind mag floorplate:

Name:	CoverPlate.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	3924
    Can it be adapted for the newer floor plates?

No, totally different inlet.

I believe that the inlet for the hinged floorplate and magazine floorplate are the same, or very similar. I no longer have both to compare. (On the newer design)

Was thinking about doing the same as OP. Have an early 80's flat back long action. Numrich has a few Savage made walnut stocks for long actions with an opening for hinged floor plate....however they are really short on application info. Will my 110 with attached magazine box work?

Here's two examples of what the inletting looks like for the older staggered-feed guns, which I'm fairly certain is what Numrick's is offering (you'll need to call to verify).

This appears to be the HFP style (old DBM inlet would be similar but there would be a hole in the right side of the stock for the mag release button)

Name:	Old HFP inlet.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	3963

This appears to be the old blind mag style that used the cover plate.

Name:	Old Blind Inlet.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	3964

Here's what the inlet looks like for the newer centerfeed DBM and HFP hardware.