Thread: Muzzle Thread Ashbury Precision .308

Muzzle Thread Ashbury Precision .308

I recently bought a Model 10 Savage Ashbury Precision Rifle in .308 Win for target shooting.
    Since we have not too many gun stores here in Germany I had to order a muzzle brake online. In all the reviews of the rifle a muzzle thread of 5/8-24 was mentioned so I ordered that size. Unfortunately there is no information about this on the savage homepage.
    The muzzle brake did not fit on the muzzle thread on the rifle (too small).
    Could anyone tell me what the size of the muzzle thread actually is on the Ashbury?
    Thanks a lot!

Everything I have read as well as all of the factory threaded model 10s I have are indeed 5/8x24

I know a local silencer shop threads barrels to several "5/8x24" dimensions offering 5/8x24x.400 or 5/8x24x.500
    Which one is the standard used in most US firearms applications I couldn't tell you right off the bat.

If I had to guess though I would think they shipped the wrong brake.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

That was my first guess, too.
    So I took the measurements of the brake and the barrel.
    The brake seemed to have the correct inside diameter (according to some charts I found online).
    The muzzle thread seems to be too big, I measured it at 17mm or 0,67 inch (ouside diameter).
    Could anyone measure the outside diameter of a 5/8-24 muzzle thread to confirm that?
    Thank you!!!

If it measures .67 , I would ask if it is damaged. 5/8-24 is very common for threads on a 30 cal barrel. 5/8 threads will never be larger than 5/8. .625
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I have a Model 10 Savage Ashbury Precision Rifle in .308 Win I used a Precision Armament M4-72 Severe-Duty brake on it 5/8-24

First of all, thanks for the replies!

But now I am more confused than ever!
    The muzzle thread does not look damaged. After all, there is a muzzle thread protector on it and that fits perfectly and runs smoothly.
    And I cannot find any standard muzzle thread size that would match my measurements of .67 inches either

I guess I will have to wait for the reply from Savage Customer Service to clarify this issue. These guys really take their time to answer...

Basic Member
    try another brake GS

Quote Originally Posted by dfriz View Post
    try another brake GS
    Well, I did.

I got the Precision Armament M4-72 Severe-Duty brake for the .308.

The diameter of the brake is too small. Even the washers don‘t fit.

Any suggestions?

Basic Member
    That is weird. 5/8" should be .625" I know my savage .308 barrel was threaded from the factory and is 5/8"-24. I'll measure it with calipers when I get home.

From some web searching, Sako and AI use a M18-1 thread on their barrels. Maybe Savage uses a metric threading for European sales rifles. But 18mm should be .70"

Only references to a 17mm barrel thread I can find is on the French MAS 49/56 and the Siaga .308 rifles.

Just a thought, around here many hardware stores have a display hanging on the wall near where nuts and bolts are sold that has male and female threads on it so you can try out the bolt or nut your bring in and figure out what it is.

Looks kind of like this: https://tinkerings.org/2015/09/27/bo...-for-the-wall/

Any chance German hardware stores do the same? If so could you bring your thread protector to the hardware store and try it out on various bolts to see what fits? At least find a M17-1 bolt and see if it fits into the thread protector.

Basic Member
    Seems logical that Savage would thread metric for rifles sold on your side of the pond- since that's the system of measurement used there, and will make sourcing aftermarket accessories such as the muzzle devices simpler.

If you bought from their licensed Dealer there, they'd certainly have the answer.

Basic Member
    Well did some more searching today. Looks like Blaser makes suppressors (or Silencers) for their rifles and their barrels are threaded M14-1, M17-1 or M18-1 depending upon the type of barrel.

https://www.blaser.de/en/products/si...cer-moderator/

So maybe Savage does thread their German bound rifles M17-1.