Thread: Stealth build questions?

Basic Member

Stealth build questions?

First of all this is my first real post on the board, have been reading on here for quite a while, finally needed to join. So I picked up a 10 BA Stealth in .308 the other day since Savage is doing a $150 rebate on them at the moment, and I have always wanted to tinker with a savge, the simple barrel swaps have always intrigued me. My plan is to swap to 300 Wsm, and I had a few questions if anyone would like to chime in.

First off off is the barrel, do I get the factory .308 tube rechambered to 300 wsm, or find a factory take off, or just order a pre fit? Also do I have a small or large shank action, I thought I had read that all the stealths are large shank?

Second, for the bolt head I know I need a magnum push feed set up, if I order one from ptg will I still have to mess with firing pin diameter and protrusion issues?

Third, has anyone used either the Alpha or Accurate wsm magazines? I believe the alpha is a double stack set up, and the accurate is a single stack, is either one of lesser quality? These aics mags are exspensive, and I don't want to have to keep ordering replacements.

If anyone base some input it is greatly appreciated.

Basic Member
    I'll offer a thought on the barrels...

I wouldn't re-chamber the 308 Win barrel. Just pack it up in a mailing tube, along with the std bolt head, and tuck it away someplace for the day you might want to switch back. Yeah, 308 Win isn't sexy, but it is a pretty useful and easy to obtain cartridge.

For the new barrel, I would get a stainless steel pre-fit from a reputable maker. Pac-Nor is my favorite barrel maker, but there are others than make good product too. That way you can make choices on the twist rate and length based on what kind of shooting you want to do with the 300 WSM. If you have reliable access to a lathe, then you can keep backing the barrel up and re-chambering it over and over until you run out of barrel shank to work with.

That's just my take on it. I've re-barreled lots of rifles over the years and tend to spend the extra money on a good initial barrel. Knowing that when throat erosion starts to harm the accuracy, I'll take it down to the lathe in the basement and re-chamber it. Making it ready for another few thousand rounds.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the thoughts clm2112, I have been leaning towards a new barrel so I can keep the one I have now, mostly because I don't really have access to a reputable gunsmith locally and would have to ship everything down to the states to have anything done. I may try to find a cheaper take off on the classifieds here so I can see how I like the caliber before I drop big money on a custom tube. I have seen a few wsm and saum barrels in the classifieds but not sure if I have a large shank gun or not.

Basic Member
    No sweat. Just another thought regarding barrel work. You really don't need an actual gunsmith. Yes, it is handy to have one to work with, but any competent machine shop can center up and thread a chunk of steel. There are plenty of mechanical drawings online you can download the accurately describe the 1.055" x 20 tpi Savage barrel shank. It really isn't rocket science, though a machine shop may ask you to release them from any liability (if they don't do gun parts for a living, they may be a little leery even though the task is quite straight forward.

Chambering a barrel by hand is cumbersome and time consuming, but also quite doable. There are also places that will rent the reamers. (Hey, I'm not a professional machinist, but I can muddle through threading a barrel, so just about anyone who knows how their lathe works can do it.)

If you go the route of getting a take-off barrel at low cost, you can alter the larger thread down to the standard (1.055" x 20 tpi) thread. You just can't go the other way.

One of the first things to do, before anything else, is pick up: An action wrench. A barrel nut wrench, and a Go/No-Go pair of gauges in 308 Win. That way you can practice taking down the Savage yourself. You can then take off the 308 barrel and re-install it at will. When you are ready to do a 300 WSM, the only additional tools you will need are the Go/No-Go pair for that caliber.

Basic Member
    I'll toss one more thought out here, then I'll shut up...

Have you considered just looking for a cheap used 300 WSM base model Savage to go along with your 308 Stealth?

The only reason I suggest this is the chassis stock works very well when it comes to repeat ability. What I mean is, if you have an inch-lb torque wrench, you can remove the barreled action from the chassis and install it again, over and over. So, you could share the chassis with more than one barreled action.

Since the chassis is a rather expensive item , it is a very cost-effective way of getting the most out of it. (I'm doing this currently with an MDT LSS Chassis and two Rem 700 SA barreled actions. I'll probably at some point pick up a second Savage barreled action, so I can share the Savage MDT LSS chassis between two barreled actions.)
    Last edited by clm2112; 10-17-2017 at 04:10 PM. Reason: correctimg my horrible grammer.

Basic Member
    Thanks for all the input cml2112, I will keep an eye out for a take off wsm barrel, maybe put up a wtb add. I wish I had access to a lathe, I would love to do all this stuff myself. I went to school to be a machinist years ago, was purdy good at it too, career just took a different path.

Basic Member
    Helpful info regarding barrel shank size (found in FAQ section).
    http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...el-Shank-Sizes

Basic Member
    Now I am thinking that if I am going to order a new barrel anyway I might as well go with 284 Win, then I wont have to change the bolt head at all. Too many options......lol

Basic Member
    I would asume your 308 is a short action. Most poeple put a 284 in a long action so you can use the heavy bullets out long.

If you are wanting to change calibers but keep the cost down i would lean toward an ershaw barrel over a take off. The ones i have seen shoot really well. I would just feel more confident with a cheaper custom than a factory takeoff.

I believe ptg makes the bolthead that you need

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    This is a good write up I found on the 284 in SA, I could use the same COAL since I would be using the same style mag, I would be happy with using the 150-160gr pills @3000fps

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek095.html

308 Stealth is a short action large shank.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6.5savageguy View Post
    308 Stealth is a short action large shank.
    Thanks for the info.