Thread: Pre ‘67 action question

whl4fun

Pre ‘67 action question

Hey all, I’m new to the forum, owned a few Savages over the years. I’m not too tech savvy so I’m posting here. I recently purchased a pre ‘67 model 110 in 300 win mag and I’m wondering what’s involved in re-barreling from 300 win mag to 7mm rem mag. Will I be able to use a regular pre fit Savage barrel in 7mm since it’s a belted magnum too? Or am I going to have to have a gunsmith set it up?

Any and all opinions and info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

In order to use a pre-fit barrel you'll have to replace the bolt with a post-67 unit. The older style has a snout that goes into a counterbore in the chamber end of the barrel. The older style also uses a standing ejector that is attached to the mag-box. You'd have to replace that as well.

Or, you could purchase a pre-fit and have a gunsmith machine the correct protrusion and counterbore for the old bolt.

Or, just have a gunsmith set up the barrel from scratch.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

whl4fun
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    In order to use a pre-fit barrel you'll have to replace the bolt with a post-67 unit. The older style has a snout that goes into a counterbore in the chamber end of the barrel. The older style also uses a standing ejector that is attached to the mag-box. You'd have to replace that as well.

Or, you could purchase a pre-fit and have a gunsmith machine the correct protrusion and counterbore for the old bolt.

Or, just have a gunsmith set up the barrel from scratch.
    Thanks for the reply
    I have another 110 long action at the moment, it is the newer style and I tried to install the bolt from it on my pre 67 to see if it would work and for some reason it wouldn’t slide into the action. It seems like the top bolt release was stopping it for some reason. I couldn’t see exactly why it stopped it, but it wouldn’t go past it.

Quote Originally Posted by whl4fun View Post
    Thanks for the reply
    I have another 110 long action at the moment, it is the newer style and I tried to install the bolt from it on my pre 67 to see if it would work and for some reason it wouldn’t slide into the action. It seems like the top bolt release was stopping it for some reason. I couldn’t see exactly why it stopped it, but it wouldn’t go past it.
    Hmmm...The old bolt should fit in a newer action if there is no barrel in the way.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

whl4fun
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Hmmm...The old bolt should fit in a newer action if there is no barrel in the way.
    It didn’t even make it past the bolt release at the back of the action, the release was depressed all the way down. IDK what I’m doing wrong. I’m hoping to figure out my problem, replace the bolt with the newer style and remove the ejector in the box magazine and install a drop in barrel if that’s all it takes.

Team Savage
    Welcome aboard

whl4fun
    Quote Originally Posted by drybean View Post
    Welcome aboard
    My problem of not being able to slide the newer bolt into my pre 67 action was due to the lip on the bottom right side of the newer bolt baffle. It seems that I’ll be able to buy a complete bolt assembly for the newer models and machine the lip off and then be able to use a profit barrel after removing the standing ejector attached to my pre 67 box magazine.

I believe it's called an anti-bind rail. I carefully ran it across my belt grinder and removed it. It serves very little purpose.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Try finding a mag box before you go to too much trouble. I understand they are getting tough to find.

Team Savage
    howdy

Welcome from northeast georgia
    Ackley was right all along

Welcome!
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways