Thread: Need a bottom bolt release sear...

Basic Member

Need a bottom bolt release sear...

So...

I broke the sear on my 16 (bottom bolt release) trying to get it to work with an aftermarket trigger. I wish a had a good story, but it's totally my fault. I guess I didn't get it hot enough before attempting the mod. Anyway, I need a new sear.

Savage no longer sells parts...period. They simply wouldn't help. They directed me to Brownell's (TBR sear only and "discontinued by manufacturer"), Midway (bolt and firing pin parts only) and Numrich.

Numrich's website only lists the TBR sear on every schematic for every model even though that's clearly wrong. When I called Numrich directly they couldn't find it either.

Does anybody know of a source for a BBR sear?

Maybe one of you guys that have done the bottom to top conversion could sell me your old sear?

Appreciate any help.

Quote Originally Posted by obiwannabe View Post
    So...

I broke the sear on my 16 (bottom bolt release) trying to get it to work with an aftermarket trigger. I wish a had a good story, but it's totally my fault. I guess I didn't get it hot enough before attempting the mod. Anyway, I need a new sear.

Savage no longer sells parts...period. They simply wouldn't help. They directed me to Brownell's (TBR sear only and "discontinued by manufacturer"), Midway (bolt and firing pin parts only) and Numrich.

Numrich's website only lists the TBR sear on every schematic for every model even though that's clearly wrong. When I called Numrich directly they couldn't find it either.

Does anybody know of a source for a BBR sear?

Maybe one of you guys that have done the bottom to top conversion could sell me your old sear?

Appreciate any help.

OMG, this can't be real!

You might send it back to savage

Basic Member
    How about converting yours to top release?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    How about converting yours to top release?
    Can't. The TBR sears are no longer available anywhere and I suspect they never will be again. My guess is that Savage found out what people were doing with them and got lawyer scared.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyShackle View Post
    OMG, this can't be real!

You might send it back to savage
    Yes, it's real. At least that's what the lady on the phone at Savage said. Lawyer scared...

Right now it's a very pretty, stainless steel, $500 baseball bat unless I can find a replacement sear. If I can't source one here then going back to Savage may be the only option.

I would call again. Use to be that you could sign a waiver. And generic parts? I just bough some from savage! Will be interesting if they do indeed discontinue selling parts.

Basic Member
    Maybe a long shot...but where did yours break? TIG weld that sucker back together???

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    Maybe a long shot...but where did yours break? TIG weld that sucker back together???
    I just don't have that skill.

It broke just above where it engages the trigger. The sear met the trigger at a slightly obtuse angle--maybe 105-ish degrees. I needed just a little more rearward travel from the sear to get a clean bolt release due to the sear contacting the trigger housing so I was trying to get more of a 90-degree engagement.

I don't think I would trust a repair of any kind. If that puppy breaks during use the gun goes bang.

Ahh, tried bending it you did.

I would still try calling savage again. Ask about their waiver? It will really put a wrinkle in things if they no longer sell parts.

Banned
    We have one guy who has repaired them, not something I can do, hopefully he weighs in, PM sent on alternatives though.

Junker used one might be an option.

Basic Member
    Surprisingly, I managed to find a TBR sear on Ebay. Paid double price because I had to buy the whole trigger assembly to get it.

Anyway, I also have a pre-accutrigger 110. I stole its stainless cerakoted TBR sear and spent this afternoon converting the 16. Looks decent and now it works with the SAV-2 without issues. I'll replace the 110's sear when the new one arrives.

Thanks for the suggestions and the PM.

Did you ever get a line on a bbr sear?
    I'm in the same with brownells...

Quote Originally Posted by obiwannabe View Post
    Surprisingly, I managed to find a TBR sear on Ebay. Paid double price because I had to buy the whole trigger assembly to get it.

Anyway, I also have a pre-accutrigger 110. I stole its stainless cerakoted TBR sear and spent this afternoon converting the 16. Looks decent and now it works with the SAV-2 without issues. I'll replace the 110's sear when the new one arrives.

Thanks for the suggestions and the PM.
    Top Bolt Release is way better anyways.
    I converted a couple bottom bolt to top bolt release. Hate the bottom release.

Yes it's true - Savage is no longer selling parts directly to the consumer, but rather only through "authorized distributors." As the OP has already found out, the problem with that their "distributors" don't carry a full selection of parts - not even between them all. The Liability Waiver work-around is a thing of the past.

The reason for the change isn't so much a lawyer liability thing, but rather several different reasons.

First off it's a logistics thing. Savage is a manufacturer, not a retailer.

Second, it's an employee thing. As any of you who have called Savage to order parts may have likely experienced, those manning the phones weren't always the most knowledgeable about Savage's and their parts - basically they knew what the computer screen told them which isn't much.

Third, Savage's Q/C is mostly done at the point of assembly - if they put it on a rifle and it fits it stays on, if not they grab another until they find one that does. That being the case, any small parts they send out haven't been checked to make sure they're within spec or work. I know Fred's gotten numerous bolt bodies over the years that were to long or shot, and even a few Target Actions that were short on overall length.

It's going to be interesting to see how this pans out. If Savage fails to make sure they have adequate parts availability through their distributors they'll be shooting themselves in the foot and people will turn to other brands which have parts more easily accessible. Brownell's would likely be the best outlet, particularly for what Savage has always deemed "gunsmith only" parts as Brownell's is already setup for that with a lot of their other products. Might be worth shooting an email off to them (Brownells) to suggest specific parts they need to start carrying to better serve the Savage community since Savage has made this change.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Uncle buck got them to send him parts in the last day or two?

Basic Member
    Interesting to see what pans out here.

I think I’m going to try and place an order for some parts tomorrow, just to see what happens.