Thread: Bolt Head size for 6.5X55 Swedish

Bolt Head size for 6.5X55 Swedish

As I recall the 6.5X55 Swedish is a long action Cartridge. I am considering a rebuild Model 11 or a 110 if I can find an appropriate donor action/caliber. My question is multi part, 1- what bolt face size do I need from Pacific Tool. & 2- recommendation of donor action/caliber. My 6.5 Grendel build is in the parts gathering stage currently. Left handed rifles make the options limited on the donor actions sometimes. Thoughts, recommendations, potential issues welcome.

When in doubt come to the well of knowledge; intent on learning.

Basic Member
    I believe a .270 is a good donor as I am working on one such conversion. With that said, as I understand it the boltface and magazine works as is but I could be wrong.

Basic Member
    Although the 6.5 x 55 has a listed rim diameter slightly larger, brass seems to run undersize and bolt faces run over size, so a standard bolt face will work fine.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Thank you both for the new information. Yet more thoughts to ponder as I plan the next build, while this build is under way. I'm grounded until spring/summer till I'm allowed to start another build. Now to make the final decision on caliber. As I currently am down to two finalists. The 6.5X55 Swede or the Remington 7-08mm. As I type this I am reminded of recoil sensitivity and the bruised shoulder from playing with a Marlin 45/70 from a bench (Hmm yet another project / 10 rounds to sight in w/ 300grn. factory ammo & I was done for the day.)
    The ultimate goal with this build is to build-
    A lighter felt recoil, high accuracy, long distance capable (Max. 300-600 yds. in theory / in reality 250-450 yds.) , hunting rifle. That can Ring steel in the morning and cause havoc on Whistle Pigs across the hay field's. Either caliber would would be built with Shilen stainless Matte finished barrels, with Ratchet rifling of the proper twist rate. Maybe in a Varmint taper at 22". The stock is a whole other set of thoughts. Work with the factory stock or re-stock from the beginning. Action choices so far are the Model 11/111 series bottom bolt release as this is what i am using on the current 223Rem. / 6.5 Grendel build.

Please continue with your thoughts and ideas on this developmental phase build as I will be adding them to the build book.

Basic Member
    You may find the 6.5 grendel will fit your light recoil, accurate, 250-450 yds hunting/600 yards steel niche.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Although the 6.5 x 55 has a listed rim diameter slightly larger, brass seems to run undersize and bolt faces run over size, so a standard bolt face will work fine.
    Yep, several of my standard (.473) heads measure .490. The original Swiss brass was designed to have .480 rims. As Fred said they run a bit smaller on newer manufacture brass.

Basic Member
    I have had no issues using a standard (308) sized both head with a few different brands of 6.5x55 brass.

Basic Member
    Why not just go with a .260 Remington? You can run that in a long action, and a long action will let you seat bullets out to the lands. Be careful with 6.5x55 SM reamers, since some of them have very long distance to the lands, and you will not get even a 140 grain Berger out to within 1/4" of the lands. If you go that route, use a match reamer, or clarify with the gunsmith who cuts the chamber, that the reamer will have a shorter throat. If you get too short a throat, you can always lengthen it later with minimal effort/expense.

Basic Member
    I put a 6.5x55 barrel on a 30-06 111 action. The Savage bolt head fit both Lapua and Norma brass without issue. The rounds feed from the detachable mag great without any modification. I changed the head to a PT&G (just because) and both brands of brass fit without issue also.

To me both the SE and 7mm-08 recoil about the same with similar weight projectiles. However, with similar weight projectiles the 6.5 will have better bc, hence better performance at longer range. If you have a LA go with the 6.5x55. You'll love it.