Hello,
I have a single shot long action Savage I purchased some time ago with a 243 bull barrel. I recently re-barreled it in 6.5x55AI. I'm having some trouble finding a scope base that fits the action. Having bought two (Warne) of the Savage long action flat back bases that don't fit, I'm starting to wonder if the action is out of tolerance, or the bases just happen to be. The action S/N is 1084XX...which, I assume, puts in pre-1968, but I could be mistaken. I have read some post by other here that have rifles like this one...what I'd like to ask is if someone could share information on the scope base they used. These Warne bases both had the crosshairs lining up about 16moa low and 6-8moa to the right. The scope mount appears flush on the front round part of the action, but it is not sitting flush on the flat rear. The front is too low to align with the bore. I could shim the front, but with the rear already off the flat, I'd have to shim the rear even more. Any ideas/input from anyone would be greatly appreciated.