Thread: Glades Armory bolt Handle Rotation

Basic Member

Glades Armory bolt Handle Rotation

Picked up a Glades Armory handle for my Axis. When installing I noticed that it is hitting the stock and not allowing as much downward travel as the factory. Should I clearance the stock or would it be fine as-is?

Glades:

Factory:

First thing I would do is pull the barreled action from the stock and make sure it's the stock and not that the new bolt handle is out of time. if it closes fully out of the stock then clearance the stock as needed. Can't say I've ever heard of anyone else having to do that for a Glades bolt handle though.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    First thing I would do is pull the barreled action from the stock and make sure it's the stock and not that the new bolt handle is out of time. if it closes fully out of the stock then clearance the stock as needed. Can't say I've ever heard of anyone else having to do that for a Glades bolt handle though.
    Good point! I'll check on my next day off and report back.

I just have a question about what you think of the Glades handle...

Does it clear your scope housing of your ocular lens or does it rub a little bit?

Do you feel that it makes the cycling of the bolt easier?

I've been looking at one of these for my Axis 22-250 but wasn't going to get one until I can confirm those two questions.

Thanks

Basic Member
    Pulled the stock to find the Glades comes very close to the safety tab.

Stock:

Glades:

Sagerat: More scope clearance IMO. Does not contact the factory Weaver 3x9 at all. Moves your hand position away from scope as well. It does provide much more leverage than the factory knob, you can see the length difference in my pictures.

Basic Member
    Definitely looks like it was machined wrong. I hope it's just a one off becasue I just ordered on myself. It should come in tomorrow and I'll check it out.

One Speed,

Please post back what you find to be the case on yours... I'd rather wait until they get all the kinks worked out before I get one.

Basic Member
    I would like to revise my previous statement about the Glades handle, I can slide a piece of paper in between them and work the safety without obstruction. Very tight, but not contacting.

Ill just need to trim the stock, and for that matter the factory handle was hitting the stock anyways.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onespeedbiker View Post
    Definitely looks like it was machined wrong. I hope it's just a one off becasue I just ordered on myself. It should come in tomorrow and I'll check it out.
    I received my Glades bolt handle and it fit fine (no issue with the rotation; s/b noted my rifle has a composite stock), but there was a very minor issue I discussed in another post

I was a little disappointed with the fit of the knob on the handle. The mating surface of the bolt handle side did not mate flush with the knob so when screwed on there was gap on one side of the mating surfaces. The issue was the threaded stud on the bolt side was not perpendicular to it's mating surface, while the threaded hole in the knob was. Not being one that likes to send things back, a little work with a file on the high side straitened it all out, but be warned if you are OCD about things like this, you may not be happy. http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...for-AXIS-II-XP

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mb1500 View Post
    Pulled the stock to find the Glades comes very close to the safety tab.

Stock:

Glades:

Sagerat: More scope clearance IMO. Does not contact the factory Weaver 3x9 at all. Moves your hand position away from scope as well. It does provide much more leverage than the factory knob, you can see the length difference in my pictures.
    I took a photo to show how well my Glades bolt handle lined up with the "safety tab". While it may be the angle of the photo, mine looks to line up better than the OP.

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/...psos4uyqay.jpg