Thread: Savage Model 1899 - 32 SPL

Nitfut

Savage Model 1899 - 32 SPL

Hi I'm just new to this site from Canada and am very glad I found it. Lots of good comments and info.

I am looking at purchasing the above gun. Serial # is 74.055 and it shoots 32 caliber ammo. I haven't received any pictures yet. I cannot find out any info on this type of model or caliber on any sites I have looked at to see what the real value of this gun is and what I should pay. Thanks ahead of time.

Basic Member
    I don't think the 1899 was ever chambered in .32 spec. It's most likely a .32-40, very rare and highly desirable, as in I want one really bad!!
    With that ser# it was made in 1908 so it's in the right period for a .32-40. The .32-40, .38-55 and .25-35 were all discontinued in 1914.

Without knowing the condition it's hard to place a value on it.

Basic Member
    I know it's your money, but I think you should buy it. That way you can post pictures for the rest of us.

As noted, the 99 was never offered in .32 Special so it's likely the .32-40 Winchester. The Winchester chambered guns are pretty rare these days so if it's in nice shape and you can get it for under $1300 U.S. you'd be doing good. I was just looking at a 99 in .25-35 Win the other day that was priced at $1500 and in what I'd consider 85-90% condition. Been used and shows some age, but not abused by any means.

Of course, it's also possible someone took a 99 that was chambered in .30-30 and had it rebored to .32 Winchester Special. I would definitely want to know exactly what the chamber is before buying it as it would affect the price a lot depending if it was one or the other.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Nitfut
    Thanks all for the info. I value your input tremendously. It's quite bewildering for sure, as the gun has 32-SPL stamped on it. Below is an insert with info gathered from American Rifleman and it does refer to a 32-Spl being manufactured at one time during the production years.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...VpaldLro.email

Basic Member
    I'll let the experts respond, but I suspect the the American Rifleman reference is in error.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitfut View Post
    Thanks all for the info. I value your input tremendously. It's quite bewildering for sure, as the gun has 32-SPL stamped on it. Below is an insert with info gathered from American Rifleman and it does refer to a 32-Spl being manufactured at one time during the production years.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...VpaldLro.email
    I'm guessing that author has the .32 Win Special confused with the .32-40 WCF or is under the impression they are one and the same.

Just to be sure, I just went through the entire section on the Savage 99 in Philip B. Sharpe's book "The Rifle In America" to double check. The book was originally published in 1938 and is around 650 pages. It is by far the best reference I have found for detailed information on American rifles made prior to WWII. Not a single mention of the .32 Win Special to be found in relation to the Savage 99.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    article also says 99s were chambered in 22-230....
    Jeff518

Basic Member
    IF it has 32spl stamped on it is a custom job, I would buy no matter the price !!!!

Nitfut
    Thanks again all for your input. I hope to meet up with the current owner in a few days and will definitely get more info and pictures. Thanks

Nitfut
    I have clarification from the owner that 32 SP is stamped on the top of the barrel along with the serial number, which does matche other serial numbers on the gun. Will get to view it in person later this week.

Elwood Epps had a 32 Winchester Special 1899 Savage on his shelf a couple of years ago. Original caliber marking was no longer legible but I would suspect it was a re-chambered/re-bored shot out 30-30. New owner should have gotten a letter just out of curiousity.
    BillR
    Last edited by BillR; 12-15-2017 at 09:27 AM. Reason: clarification

Glad to see you found us Bill.

Got some 257 Wby at Epps last year, real good prices compared to the local shop here.
    Savage- "never say never".