Thread: Brass Ejection issue

Basic Member

Brass Ejection issue

My wife's rifle is having trouble ejecting brass. Sometimes it flings the brass out and sometimes when gets to the point where it is about to fling the brass and then the brass just kind of fumbles and stays in the action of the rifle (not in the barrel chamber so I can remove it by hand). This was sent to Savage 5 months ago for other issues. The extractor was one of the things they said they fixed (even though it was fine back then). I fear they did something wrong to it. Thoughts?

Team Savage
    Install a .140 extractor detent ball

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drybean View Post
    Install a .140 extractor detent ball
    where can I find that part and instructions to do so?

Basic Member
    Here's a kit that should solve it. Bottom of page

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com

Team Savage
    Send me your address , I will get a couple in the mail

Big E: you're not alone. same here, mostly with small base cart family (.223, .204). I had forgotten about that since i have removed ejector anyway for ease of using 'go gauges' on bbl swaps.

the rifles do have 'issues' but are still a great bargain and all seem to have the potential to shoot well, despite their warts.
    another remmy escapee... might be a savage for the next half century,

Basic Member
    This problem seems to be limited to small diameter bullet, bottle neck cartridges. My 308 ejects flawlessly, but the 223, 22-250, 6mm are all very unreliable. So I removed the ejectors from all but the 308 and would never go back to the frustration of frequently digging out a case that is laying backwards on top of the magazine. I shoot off a bench almost exclusively and prefer to return the shot brass back to the block and in the order it was shot. With the ejector removed, the case sits on the bolt head until you pick it off. Very reliable.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    This problem seems to be limited to small diameter bullet, bottle neck cartridges. My 308 ejects flawlessly, but the 223, 22-250, 6mm are all very unreliable. So I removed the ejectors from all but the 308 and would never go back to the frustration of frequently digging out a case that is laying backwards on top of the magazine. I shoot off a bench almost exclusively and prefer to return the shot brass back to the block and in the order it was shot. With the ejector removed, the case sits on the bolt head until you pick it off. Very reliable.
    Good to know. I have a 243 I built and to help extraction, installed a .140" detent ball. It was a waste of time, brass still falls off the extractor into the action 95% of the time. Looks like I'll pull the ejector from my bolt head.

I had a problem with one of my 243's and the problem was a itsy bitsy tiny brass burr on the extractor where the brass rim goes. So taking off the extractor and cleaning it well worked. But also had another Savage rifle that needed a new extractor to fix the problem.

Had a few other Savages with the odd failure to eject (brass falls in the chamber) and stretching the ejector spring or installing a new ejector spring fixed the problem.

Basic Member
    Based on this thread, and just for fun, I ordered a bag of 3.5mm chrome steel balls from Amazon and replaced them on 2 12FV and 3 Axis bolts. Not sure if it made a real change or not. Nothing really hangs in the receiver, but none of them eject with any authority. But then again my Howa acts the same way if not a bit weaker. Why don't full size bolts sling brass 10' from the rifle???

Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    Good to know. I have a 243 I built and to help extraction, installed a .140" detent ball. It was a waste of time, brass still falls off the extractor into the action 95% of the time. Looks like I'll pull the ejector from my bolt head.
    Get the ejection kit from SSS. I bought my daughter a .243 and it had ejection issues, ordered the kit and it now flings them with authority!

Basic Member
    This is case by case basis. My first Savage was an Axis that I rebuilt. I never really had issues that I recall. Then I had a M10 and M110. The M10 in 308 never had an issue, then I went to 243 and was plagued with issues. I tried the Shilen DGR action and had the same issues with the 243. Eventually, I sold them all and built on a Mausingfield action for the reliability factor. The M110 action never had an issue for me either and I ran it in 6.5-06.

I don't like the fact that the one bolt with ejection issues has a .473 bolt face counter-bore that measures .490

I put in the sharp shooters kit and never had a problem after that

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I don't like the fact that the one bolt with ejection issues has a .473 bolt face counter-bore that measures .490
    What is a counter bore?

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

I don't like the fact that the one bolt with ejection issues has a .473 bolt face counter-bore that measures .490.
    0.490" seems to be about the norm for factory .473" bolt heads these days.

Quote Originally Posted by culpeper View Post
    What is a counter bore?
    The counter bore he is referring to is the round recessed area of the bolt head where your case head fits into.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigeclipse View Post
    My wife's rifle is having trouble ejecting brass. Sometimes it flings the brass out and sometimes when gets to the point where it is about to fling the brass and then the brass just kind of fumbles and stays in the action of the rifle (not in the barrel chamber so I can remove it by hand). This was sent to Savage 5 months ago for other issues. The extractor was one of the things they said they fixed (even though it was fine back then). I fear they did something wrong to it. Thoughts?
    It's most likely the spring on the extractor rod has weakened... jmho

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ted_Feasel View Post
    It's most likely the spring on the extractor rod has weakened... jmho
    Just for clarification the extractor does not have a rod. The ejector does, it could also be called a pin. If this is the issue cleaning it, the spring and the hole may help. Always a good idea to make sure the ejector and the extractor are smooth in operation and working correctly.

Basic Member
    Just for clarification the extractor does not have a rod. The ejector does, it could also be called a pin. If this is the issue cleaning it, the spring and the hole may help. Always a good idea to make sure the ejector and the extractor are smooth in operation and working correctly.
    I know the difference lol... I just refer to them as a whole... but I have fixed many where the spring has just really become weak

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk