Thread: Tupperware Stock

Tupperware Stock

TIP: Make sure the action tang is floating!

I have been developing loads for several mdl 12's over the last year, and they all shoot exceptionally well (<1/2"), even with the factory copper mine bbls and cheesy stock, as long as the front screw is tight and the tang is not making contact. Not sure why savage put the boss around the bolt handle cutout, which only seems to complicate things. (Don't overtorque the rear screw.)

caveat: I am not using a bipod
    another remmy escapee... might be a savage for the next half century,

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chop house View Post
    TIP: Make sure the action tang is floating!

I have been developing loads for several mdl 12's over the last year, and they all shoot exceptionally well (<1/2"), even with the factory copper mine bbls and cheesy stock, as long as the front screw is tight and the tang is not making contact. Not sure why savage put the boss around the bolt handle cutout, which only seems to complicate things. (Don't overtorque the rear screw.)

caveat: I am not using a bipod
    are you talking the rear action screw or the trigger guard screw thing when you say do not tighten it to much??

Banned
    And what cartridges are you shoot in the stocks?

note: Tupperware was and is a very high quality product, it really does not apply to these low cost plastic stocsk.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigeclipse View Post
    are you talking the rear action screw or the trigger guard screw thing when you say do not tighten it to much??
    Big E - yes the rear action screw. Originally i was torquing 45 "/lb front and 25"/lb rear to match what i was measuring on the rifles as delivered. It seems over time that the stock material at the rear of the ejection port 'yields' and then 25 became too much to keep the tang from making contact. i demonstrated this a few times at the local range, with witness, when i had a sporter .243 installed on a 12 fv. The effect is more pronounced, i believe, than with the original hvy varmint bbl.

Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    And what cartridges are you shoot in the stocks?

note: Tupperware was and is a very high quality product, it really does not apply to these low cost plastic stocsk.
    .223 varmint, 22-250 varmint, .308 varmint, .204 varmint, 7mm-08 sporter, .243 sporter.

the last three i have been swapping take off bbls onto the same rcvr and stock. effect is most pronounced with sporters, which i guess is intuitive. since the rear action screw in effect rotates the front of the action up, if you place your offhand at the bbl forend junction and can feel the movement when tightening the rear screw.

This is simply a parlor trick to make it shoot well off the bench, or for p-dogging. if the rifle is going to be carried, knocked around, or used for long range hunting, i would certainly get a better stock. poi WILL change with rear screw torque on this setup.

i used the 'tupperware' analogy mainly because people would instantly know the inference. I might have used 'milk jug' instead.

Just pillar it and move on. Lamp rod, a drill press, epoxy, dremel, and a couple hours later no more compression issues.

Banned
    i used the 'tupperware' analogy mainly because people would instantly know the inference. I might have used 'milk jug' instead

That would work. We had Tupperware when I was a kid, some of it lasted 40 years. A few pieces on and off since, all first class.

Sort of like saying you stock is a McMillion!

My take is that the lighter calibers do better in the low cost stocks.

Big case 6.5, 270, 280, 308 etc not so good and change to a higher quality stock.

cheesy stock
    Cheese is right out also. Fine milk product. Now that you have been "set straight" about tupperware and cheese. good post on torque.
    Older walnut stocks without pillars were also pretty sensitive to bolt tension also.