Thread: New Savage owner

txharleyrider46

New Savage owner

I was at a gun show yesterday and purchased a used Savage model 110 .300 win mag and was hoping to get some info on it. I've searched online but not finding much. It has a Choate ultimate sniper stock, the bolt has "Savage Tactic" on it, a BSA Platinum 6.25 26 42 scope, not sure of the muzzel break, if that is stock or an add on. I've been to the Savage web site but the 110 is not listed in there bolt actions, unless I'm over looking something. I know it doesn't have the accutrigger, but it is a very light trigger. I've read up on the stock at Choates web site, any recommendations for a bipod? I requested an owners manual from Savage and downloaded one from the web site. Any info is greatly appreciated.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t128/txharleyguy46/savage1.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t128/txharleyguy46/savage5.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t128/txharleyguy46/savage6.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t128/txharleyguy46/savage4.jpg[/img]

Basic Member

Re: New Savage owner

You have an older 110 FP Police rifle.....spruced up with the Choate sniper stock and muzzle brake added....the 300 Win is an easy caliber to load for....Savage still offers a 110 FCP in 300 Win...(#18612)....w/brake also...Accue trigger now added.....I had an older FP in 300 Win....set it up with a Choate Varminter....Weaver T16 glass...175 SMKs....it shot very well...just had too much recoil for my uses....I wanted it for 1000+ yd p/dog shooting...I no longer have that rifle....my 260 AI & 6XC are much more pleasant to shoot even in a 16# rifle......
    S/shot Savage & heavy Pac Nor's rock !! 'JM' Marlin lever gun nut !

txharleyrider46

So what's the difference between a police rifle and a regular rifle? How can you tell it's a police rifle? I know.....lots of questions, but I like to know as much as I can about my firearms.I had been wanting a long range rifle and when I saw this I couldn't pass it up. I can't wait to get it out to the range and see how it performs. The cocking indicator, is that supposed to do any thing other than just raise up when cocked and go down when fired? And idea on the twist rate on the barrel? What is the best weight bullet to use for this, and suggestions on a bi-pod, thanks for the info. Oh yeah, how can I date the rifle?

txharleyrider46

Was wondering about the muzzel break too, is that a good one and is there a better one available?

"Savage Tactic" was remove on the older guns because it created too much attention and controversy. The newer rifles have the same bolt on it but only has Savage stamped on it. You should have a fine gun. My friend has one that looks just like it less the muzzle break. If I owned a 300, I would probably have a muzzle break on it also! You should be able to get the bi-pod and attachment if need from able, cheaper than dirt, or Cabelas. All my guns have Harris bi-pods on them!
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Basic Member

The stock has a bipod rail on it.....simply clip a Harris bipod on of the length of your choice...all 308 diameter Savage bbl's are 10 twist...your first upgrade should be better glass....I seriously doubt if the BSA will last long on a 300 Win.....
    S/shot Savage & heavy Pac Nor's rock !! 'JM' Marlin lever gun nut !

Galveston22

Its a pre accutrigger Savage 110 LE (Law Enforcement) Series with a Choate stock and it looks like a Harrels Precision muzzle brake. How much did you pay for it?

txharleyrider46

Armed in Utah stated it is a 110 FP, you say it's a 110 LE. Is there any difference, and how do you tell it's a law enforcement, is it due to the Savage Tactic on the bolt? On the barrel it is just stamped 110. What is the difference between an LE and another model? I've done a lot of googleing on it but not finding munch info. I was wondering about the BSA glass if it was a quality scope or not, I guess time will tell when I get to take it out to shoot, which I'm chomping at the bit to do, it will probably be 2 weeks before I'll be able to do so. I paid $550 for it at the gun show from a dealer, I figured it was probably a little more than what it is really worth, but with the scope and stock I thought it was a fair price, plus I really liked the way it looked and I've been wanting a high power long range rifle for a while, and this was really the best looking one at the show, so I couldn't resist. Thanks to all for the info.

I would say the price was right! With good glass, you might have a nail driver. 175gr HPBT works best in mine!
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

I have the same gun minus the aftermarket muzzle break and choate stock. Its an olde 110 FP. LE came out during the Accutriger to identify thier tactical/law enforcement line.

So whats the difference between thier tactical and regular 110 long actions. The bolt body has been blued and has a different eching and it has a bull barrel and matte finish. Other then that it is exactly the same as all other 110, 111 long actions pre accutrigger. The same metal design trigger are all the same. The only reason we know its was a FP instead of a 110 is the blued bolt body that says savage tactic. I have on in 7mm Rem mag as well.

They are usually real good shooters. so engoy and have fun.

358Hammer

A number of people make that spiral flute muzzle brake design. Seems to reduce recoil okay but has a strong concussion/back blast to the shooter. I removed the one I have and went with something else because of the blast.
    My all time go to caliber back in the days when I carried a rifle was the 300 Win Mag and 180 grain partitions.

Great gun and we are looking forward to range reports. Whether its the photo I do not know but it looks as if the beginning of the exit hole to the muzzle(inside) is beginning to roughen up.

Neal