Thread: Scewed up my gun

racinready300ex

Scewed up my gun

Ok, here's the deal. I tried to do a barrel swap on my savage 12FV and I'm pretty sure I killed my action. I think the action is slightly twisted or bent so when I mount the scope I can see it's not parallel to the barrel.

So I'm trying to decide what to do now. The gun only cost me $280 bucks, so I don't know that I'd want to pay a gun smith 100's of dollars to fix it. Another option might be to try to fix the problem, although I don't see how I could get it right. The next thought would be to leave it alone, use a set of millet adjustable rings and adjust the back until the scope is parallel with the barrel. Would this be safe? Would it kill any accuracy? I'm sure there's pressure on the action in the stock which has to affect the accuracy.

I guess I could also just buy a new action, no idea what that would set me back.

And my last option would be to just forget it and sell off all the parts and cut my losses. I'm thinking the brand new barrel is worth about 175 dollars, then sell the all the trigger parts, the bolt, the SS recoil lug. And just stick the bent action back in my closet and forget about it.

Any thoughts?

I find lessons learned the hard way, stick with you and don't happen twice. :'(

Ray Gunter

Re: Scewed up my gun

Contact Sharp Shooters Supply, he's the Savage guru. I understand he straightens them right up.

sinman

If you dont want to put money into the action I would be interested in buying it. I have always wanted to try and straighten one.

racinready300ex

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Gunter
    Contact Sharp Shooters Supply, he's the Savage guru. I understand he straightens them right up.
    I sent them a email to find out what if they could do it and what it will set me back. Maybe it wont be too bad.

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by racinready300ex
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Gunter
    I sent them a email to find out what if they could do it and what it will set me back. Maybe it wont be too bad.
    They do excellent work I have seen a couple badly twisted actions they have done that looked like new. My understanding was that it was very affordable. Best thing to do is to send sharpshooter a PM on this site. Next best way to contact them would be to give them a call.

dustoffer

Fred and Lisa are good folks--easy to work with and quality work. And, they do answer their e-mails.

northlander

What did you do to your Action that caused it to get distorted? What were you using to take the barrel off?

racinready300ex

Quote Originally Posted by Northlander
    What did you do to your Action that caused it to get distorted? What were you using to take the barrel off?
    I'm a idiot. Well, my front scope mount stripped. So my bright idea was to just leave it on, and put the action wrench on the trigger end of the action. I didn't really think the barrel nut was going to be on there as tight as it was. Right after I did it, I started thinking this could mess things up. So I stopped. Got the stripped screw out of the front scope mount and did it the right way. I just hoped I hadn't messed anything up. When I tried to put the action back in the stock is when I realized the damage I caused. It's not allot, but it doesn't take much to cause problems.

It's not that hard to bend them back. Take your time and move it a little at a time.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Yeah, just put the barrel back on with the action wrench at the trigger end . No seriously, you could try to bend it back. The best idea would be to call Fred though and just have him fix it right.

PaHog sent one to him a while back that the bolt would hardly go in, and 3 weeks later got it back good as new. Fred did have to do a time&true job on it too, but that just makes it even better.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

racinready300ex

I can probably sell the barrel I took off to pay for the fix. What would you say the value of a 26" 22-250 heavy barrel, blued off a 12FV is? It has 15 shots down the tube, plus what they did at the factory. Shoots .2 MOA

Is there a classified section in here to list somethings for sale?

sinman

well having only 15 shots down the tube its hard to call it a .2 moa but I would price it at $125-150

racinready300ex

Quote Originally Posted by sinman
    well having only 15 shots down the tube its hard to call it a .2 moa but I would price it at $125-150
    True, that's what the target sent with the gun from savage showed. I went to the range with 15 rounds just to make sure it worked with the new barrel, and I managed a .18 group once zeroed at 100. Then I took my great shooting gun apart and messed it up. lol. ::)

There is a classified section, but you have to pony up the $12.00 membership fee to see it. It's well worth $10.00 to have access to the full site. The technical articles are worth many times the price!

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

racinready300ex

I thought it was odd there was only vendor classifieds here. That make's sense.

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.