Thread: Question about PTG bolt heads for ,223 Savage...Bolt Alignment cut?

Basic Member

Question about PTG bolt heads for ,223 Savage...Bolt Alignment cut?

After reading a few posts about these bolt heads it sounds like a good thing to have. I went to their site to order one and was asked an option I don't know what means.

The question in on the option of adding a bolt alignment cut or not. I called but no one was in who could answer the question, so I thought I might get a quicker response here.

Is this something I want or not, and what is it anyway?

Thanks,

Russellc

Basic Member
    I found this post, but still don't know if I need it or not from the response. The gun in question is a 12FV which I just got.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...-alignment-cut

Russellc

No, you don't need it. It was for older models. To the best of my knowledge there hasn't been a savage made like that in some years now.

Team Savage
    Russellc,
    If your rifle is new you shouldn't need the bolt alignment cut in the bolt head as this is a feature on the older 110s. The bolt alignment pin is only present on the bolts of my 110 flat back actions and the accompanying bolt head has the alignment cut. To be sure though, remove the bolt from your rifle and turn it over. About 1" below the rear bolt baffle halfway between the ends of the bolt retaining pin you will see the indentation in your bolt which is the bolt alignment pin if its present. See the pic below. If this indentation is not present on your bolt, you do not need a bolt alignment cut on your PTG bolt head. Hope this helps you confirm presence/absence.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bolt alignment cut.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	3856
    Last edited by Wildcat; 10-10-2017 at 07:01 PM.

Basic Member
    Thanks, I just checked, and I do not have that indentation. Does that pin go all the way through to the bolt head? I assume it does,
    and the alignment cut is to provide clearance for it?

I can disassemble a AR15 rifle and have built several. This is my first Bolt action gun. Is changing the bolt head something the average guy can do,
    or is there anything I need a gunsmith to do?

Thanks,

Russellc

Basic Member
    This is the only "indentation" and pin I see: Oh well it says I dont have permission to post attachments, am I doing somthing wrong? I have a small indentation in the side of the bolt head itself, and a small pin is stuck in it...

Russellc

Basic Member
    Hm. I dont see a rule covering this. I just joined in September, is there a period before which I can post pictures?

Russellc

Quote Originally Posted by russellc View Post
    Thanks, I just checked, and I do not have that indentation. Does that pin go all the way through to the bolt head? I assume it does,
    and the alignment cut is to provide clearance for it?

I can disassemble a AR15 rifle and have built several. This is my first Bolt action gun. Is changing the bolt head something the average guy can do,
    or is there anything I need a gunsmith to do?

Thanks,

Russellc
    You will need to set the headspace if you change the bolt head! Set of go/no-go and wrenches to removed/loosen the nut.

Per pictures, I think you need to be a paying member, or host them on a third party site and link to here.

Cheers

The indentation and pin on the bolthead itself is for the ejector.

The indentation on the bolt body was to make a dimple on the inside of the bolt body. There was a corresponding slot cut into the tail of the bolthead to prevent the bolthead from being installed 180 degrees out.

If you did have the indent/dimple, you could just grind it out with a dremel and make your bolt body "universal".
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member
    @ Rustyshackle: I'll see about joining then. I don't like 3rd party pics, they tend to disappear on old threads.

Russellc

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    The indentation and pin on the bolthead itself is for the ejector.

The indentation on the bolt body was to make a dimple on the inside of the bolt body. There was a corresponding slot cut into the tail of the bolthead to prevent the bolthead from being installed 180 degrees out.

If you did have the indent/dimple, you could just grind it out with a dremel and make your bolt body "universal".
    Sounds like I am good to go, I'll get a headspace gauge, need to anyway.

Russellc