Thread: 300 BO will not eject fired cases......

Basic Member

300 BO will not eject fired cases......

I built a 300 BO on a Model 16 left hand that started out as a new 7-08. This build has been a pain, taken 11 months and still not correct. I was lucky to find a new bolt head from Numrich's, mag box and follower from one of the guys here on Salvage Shooter. Barrel from Bison was a pain received it put it on action assembled gun then tried to screw my suppresser on would make 1 1/2 turns, tried a couple muzzle brakes and flash hiders they were no go, take it apart. Back to Bison $20 for shipping, sent a copy of ACC specification for thread pitch for there suppressors. Returned 2 weeks later, suppresser doesn't thread on barrel and 1" shorter its 16 1/2" can't cut it again to correct threads. Dig in my collection of dies find a 5/8"-24 adjustable die thread barrel so suppresser will go on now.

Worked on load development for Cutting Edge Bullets 190gr. Raptor sub-sonic get a load sub 1" minute 1035 fps, great something is gone good.

Last problem......

Fired cases will not eject clearing action. When bolt is pulled back slow or fast case stays in action, will only stay hooked on extractor until case gets past front of action and falls off. Tried 300 BO fired cases in a 223 I have same thing.

I guess Savage actions are not designed for 300 BO ?

This is the problem with a BO in a bolt gun, a better extractor and standing ejector seem to make things work. I would wait for something more definitive BUT if I remember correctly SSS has a better extractor setup and is a must for the B.O.. Reducing the length of the spring on the ejector helps. I would try SS extractor before altering the ejector spring. https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7132/7...30702f7e_z.jpg
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coyote wacker View Post
    ... I guess Savage actions are not designed for 300 BO ?
    The problem is really the direction that bolt actions try to eject the brass out of the receiver, along with the short length of the cartridge case. I encountered the same problem with a Rem 700 in 223 Rem when re-barreled for the 300 Blackout. When you pull the bolt back to extract the empty casing, you will see that the case mouth snaps over against the right side of the receiver as soon as it clears the chamber. It is in the cutout for the right side bolt lug. It rides that cutout until the case clears the main ring, at which point the ejector tries to pitch it out of the receiver. But, because the 300 Blackout case is so short, there's almost no pressure left in the ejector spring, so the case just sort of falls off and down into the magazine.

What I had to do to fix this on the 700 involved a custom made bolt from PTG, with a Sako style extractor. That changed the geometry of where the extractor grabs the case compared to where the ejector is trying to pitch it out of the receiver. Instead of snapping to the right, into the bolt lug cutout, when the case clears the chamber, it snaps towards to top of the receiver ring. End result is when the case clears the receiver ring, it it pitched upward and out with plenty of force from the still compressed ejector spring. It hasn't left any marks on the scope turret yet, so the brass is consistently getting tossed out about 45 degrees above horizontal. And it really pitches 223 brass a few feet from the rifle regardless of how fast or slow you pull the bolt.

Will this work on a Savage? I don't know yet. I'm exploring the same situation when I convert my 243 Win Savage over to 300 Blackout. (I switch-barrel Remingtons, so I'm planning to add a few barrels to the Savage as well.)