Thread: Anyone used Richards Microfit stocks

Basic Member

Anyone used Richards Microfit stocks

I was on there website, was thinking of a different stock for my Model 12BVSS, am also in the process of building a 6mm BR on a Savage target action with a Shilen S8 bull barrel, any suggestion with minimal work, also how are the Boyd's AT-one? I may end up with a Mcmillan for the 6BR

I used them for my first build very nice stock
    since used 2 Boyd's nice stocks not the at one though
    I am considering using Richards for my current build
    Old Smokey

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbuckdn View Post
    I used them for my first build very nice stock
    since used 2 Boyd's nice stocks not the at one though
    I am considering using Richards for my current build
    Do you have to do a lot of fitting to them or just some minor sanding. Thanks

No experience except for others posting. I think there is more than minor sanding. FWIW
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Team Savage
    Richard's Micro-fit stocks are usually somewhat rough and often require some sanding and final fitting work before they are ready to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by coorslight View Post
    Do you have to do a lot of fitting to them or just some minor sanding. Thanks
    The fit was fine needed a bit but there is heavy sanding to be done
    Old Smokey

Basic Member
    considering this stock for my new build also but i hear it needs alot of sanding.
    A day spent wasting bullets is never a wasted day !!

Quote Originally Posted by firstblood807 View Post
    considering this stock for my new build also but i hear it needs alot of sanding.
    yep
    Old Smokey

Team Savage
    So, if you're not into doing some work to get a nice finished/fitted product, go with a ready made and fitted stock and you'll be in the same bunch as a lot of folks. LOTS of stock makers out there but...
    I am a BIG fan of Richard's Micro-Fit stock, mostly because of the price and the selection of styles available. (got one on the way that should be here in a few days) I've lost count but I think this will make # 10 or 12 so far. I've had one that looked like it was shaped with an axe and others that were just about ready to sand and spray. You'll never know till it's on your door step.
    Richard's Micro-Fit stock are known as "Gunsmith Stocks". Bought,fitted,finished by a gun maker and the guy that gets his gun back is happy as a kid in a candy store. All he had to do was fork over the $$.
    Anything you do to the stock when it shows up makes it YOU'RS!! Too fat in places? Take it down. Sure beats waiting up to a year and costing BIG $$$ to get a custom made stock that I would be afraid to take out of the house and get it banged up!!
    Take it for what it's worth but I "AM" a BIG fan. Good luck on your decision.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Team Savage
    2nd on richards stocks.have a few myself.mikie did great writeup

Basic Member
    I bought a Richard's stock for a Howa 1500 in walnut. I knew that it would take some finishing, but I was stunned when it arrived. I suspect that the last tool used by Richards was a chain saw. And it was HUGE. I estimate that my finished stock weighed only half of the chunk of wood Richard's shipped to me.

The inletting was perfect. You couldn't ask for more, but the exterior shape was closer to a log than a stock. My first tool was a table saw and the second was a big band saw. Eventually, after a LOT of work, I made a very nice stock, but I'm an experienced wood worker. Not every shooter has the experience and tools to make a stock from what Richard's sold me. Plus the walnut was supposed to be grade AA fancy. It was neither. Some report their Richard's stocks aren't so rough, but mine was a real challange.

I currently use Boyd's stocks. Unfortunately they don't really make a stock optimized for F-Class or BR shooting, the two types of shooting I do most. However, I find it simple enough to make a tapered rear bag rider out of some 5/8" black Delrin sheet to optimize the length and angle of the underside of the stock. I also make a front bag "sled" out of the same material and mount it to the forestock. Done correctly, it looks just fine even though it might not be the most elegant solution. On the other hand, the Boyd's stocks are inexpensive and they deliver to me usually in about 10 days.

Basic Member
    I have one on my 6BR. When I got it I'd consider it middle of the road from what others had described getting theirs in. I went as far as to cut and trim some for my personal design ideas. I even cut finger grooves that match my hand in the grip of the thumb hole. I will see if I can still find my before pics. I have several of the after.

Going into the purchase knowing there was work to be done I was very happy with the stock!

Basic Member
    Check out photos of wood stock photo fest. Last one is my Richards thumbhole bench rest.http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...to-Fest!/page2

I suggest a good DA palm sander and some sticky back 120 and 220 grit paper to rough it out. Will save a whole lot of time and produce a very nice finish. I finished in premium Deck varnish. 4 brushed coats let to dry for a couple of weeks (I shot it during that time) and then thorough sand with 400 and 500 wet. Then one spray coat of same varnish slightly thinned.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Team Savage
    Just received the one that I had ordered in mid July of this year. Took a little longer than they said but I know I'am not the only kid on the block.
    Not much work to get it ready for finishing. One lite coat of Min Wax Poly spray to bring up the fuzz, let it dry real good for a day or two, sand as needed then shoot it again. The action inlet was a 99.99% drop in.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.