Thread: New Remington 700 long range VS Savage 10/110 FC) HS Precision 300 win mag

New Remington 700 long range VS Savage 10/110 FC) HS Precision 300 win mag

Does anyone have any experience or first hand knowledge comparing these two rifles? I realize the barrel length is different, but what about the accuracy at say 800 to 1000 yds. How do the triggers compare? I like the longer barrel for pushing more velocity but I'm not sold on the Remington after owning several Savage rifles. ( BVSS)series

I have a couple of Remington 700s, It may be apples to oranges but I have a Remington 700VSSF in .308 That I put into a B&C medalist. Compared to my 12BVSS in my opinion it's a clunker. These two are pretty similar in weight and barrel length so maybe they're appropriate for a similar comparison. The Remington web site claims "Remington® Varmint rifles are the most accurate factory-built models we produce." Even after removing the yellow glue and tuning the X mark pro trigger well past what Remington considers "user adjustable"by making a sear adjustment it's still has more creep and doesn't feel as crisp, kinda mushy. I have a couple of Remingtons with the old "Walker" triggers and it's pretty much the same story and even the old Savage 3 screws are superior. The factory synthetic from Remington was a "piece of junk" with a pressure point near the front to support the barrel and I'm one of those guys that considers the old style Savage synthetic stocks "serviceable". As far as accuracy goes well they're both in roughly the same ball park now that I changed out the stock, tuned the trigger, and worked up a load for the 700.

If you're in the market for a win mag have you considered the Savage Bear Hunter? All the bells and whistles and I'd bet though maybe not a conventional "tactical style" rifle that she'd get the job done as good as any other and better than many.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Thank you for the intel. I'm not hearing very good things about the Remington line up these days. Our local shooter club (groundhog shoots) all have high marks for the Savage rifle in general, accuracy and Accu trigger. I do our several and really like the product for my purpose. I would like to find an older BVSS in 300 win mag to match my 22-250 but I think that may be impossible. So I'm thinking the Savage 10/110 /FCP HS Precision might be the ticket for my budget. Although it has a 24" barrel the quality should supersede the rem 700 long range gun. This is for hunting out to 1000 yds+/- so yes the trigger does really matter for a crisp light snap for shot placement. I do shoot a browning A bolt that works wonderful out at mid range distances but would like to reach a bit further when still hunting and shooting across the Appalachian mts. Know any model 12 BVSS 300 win mags for sale...thanks again

My main reason for not buying a 700 long range was the finish, it likes to rust. And after being taken over I'm not too confident of their quality. Look at what they done to Marlin.

Touche' BB68, good point also!

Savage has plenty of Win mags in the stable.
    You can go to their web site and click centerfire rifles and then click the caliber of your choice to see which models they offer in .300Win.
    I do know the long range hunter is one of their offerings. I suggested the "Bear Hunter because it is basically a full featured maxed out hunting rifle that comes in magnum calibers. It comes as a weather resistant synthetic and stainless finished hunting machine that features a barrel that's heavier than a sporter and fluted. I think it's a medium or medium heavy contour. It also has an adjustable muzzle brake that can be turned on or off depending on your preference or situation. I sure wish Savage would make a similar factory offering in standard "deer calibers" with the newer features of the accustock and accutrigger. I would buy another in a heartbeat. I currently have a very similar setup I bought new back in the mid 1990s a 116FLCSAK which is a left handed stainless and synthetic with a detachable box, fluted medium barrel with a very effective adjustable brake in 30-06. Stupid accurate and if I had known they would discontinue this model and shrink their left handed lineup the way they have, I probably would have bought one in every standard caliber they offered. I love being able to turn the brake on and off but mostly leave it open for the recoil reduction. when you wanted info on the 110FC and spoke of such long ranges I was thinking target rig. If you're looking for a win mag "hunting" rifle I would not hesitate to go with a bear hunter and I think you really ought to go check one out in person to compare. The darn things are plenty accurate and powerful.
    I also have a left handed 28" 116 in .300 RUM but it's just waaaay too much gun for hunting whitetail deer. (and pretty much rare as hens teeth) Its also an earlier flatback model without the fluting but has the same brake and though I never shoot it anymore it's plenty accurate and more than enough for southern game or escaped circus/zoo beasts.
    If these two are any indication of the bear hunter I'd be all over it if I was needing a win mag.

Good luck

A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Well, it I spent a little time at the gun shop today. Turns out the FCP was my choice. I like the aluminum bedding block and that little extra precision tailored for longer ranges. I will have the brake installed before I start using it and top it off with an old Leupold Vari Xlll 6.5X 20 /w 1/8 min dot( after dusting it off). I feel sure I will be satisfied..hey it's a Savage right? You have some nice gear there BHJ. And I like the Bear Hunter version. I just wanted something a little beefier. Bench rest and spotting glasses for Bear and Deer. This should allow me to launch 220's with out barrel whip at top velocities. I've been out of the game for a couple years but still have the desire. And a assortment of gear when they made good stuff. I'll keep you posted after I get the barrel broke in. Thanks guys