Thread: DrThunder's Rattlecan Massacre

DrThunder's Rattlecan Massacre

I did a post about my Spongetarn camo paintjob, and I decided to get all of my painted rifles and stocks together for a photoshoot. Daylight was fading on me, however, so the white balance is a bit screwed up.

Appleseed Rifles

This spring I brought my brother-in-law, sister, and then-girlfriend to their first Appleseed shoot. Knowing they did not have rifles of their own, I offered to bring one for each. I also decided to give each one a unique paintjob.

Aaron's rifle - Marlin 795 plastic stock. Using an organic fishnet fabric from the craft store, I masked the base coat of Rustoleum Camouflage "Earth Brown" and applied Rustoleum "Hunter Green". The Kydex cheekpiece is Rustoleum "Oil Rubbed Bronze".

Jess' rifle - Marlin 795 plastic stock. I began by using a light coat of Rustoleum white plastic primer and letting it dry for an hour. Next I applied equal stripes of Rustoleum purple and "Lagoon". After 10-20 minutes, I swabbed the surface of the stock with a chip brush soaked in acetone. I let the stock cure for several days before clear coating. The cheekpiece is Rustoleum "Antique Bronze".

Ashley's rifle - Magpul X-22 black plastic stock. I used a leopard print tulle fabric as a mask as I painted Rustoleum brown over Camouflage "Khaki".

Long Range Guns

So, I've got a number of rifles in Boyds Tacticool and Pro Varmint stocks, so I try to make each one look a little different. Similarly, I have three 12FVs and a fourth on the way.

Spongeflage 12FV - I go over this one in more detail here.

Taxis - This is certainly the most complicated paintjob I've put on a gun. The base coat is Rustoleum Camouflage "Earth Brown". I masked it with an organic mesh fabric and painted over it with Rustoleum Camouflage "Deep Forest Green". Next, I used a few different sizes of cardboard stencil of my own design to paint on tiger stripes in Rustoleum Camouflage "Khaki". I used the same stencils to paint a second set of stripes in "Earth Brown", partially over the first stripes. I then flung Rustoleum Camouflage black over the entire pattern. Originally, I had painted the scope and rings as well, but those were later replaced with my Fauxtex-painted PA 4-14x44mm FFP. The cheekpiece was painted "Dark Earth", masked with laundry bag mesh, and then painted again with "Deep Forest Green".

The Unnamed 6.5 Creedmoor Project - More about this project here, though I recently had to fix all the pictures (thanks, Photobucket!). The cheekpiece is Rustoleum "Dark Earth", masked with a plastic stencil, and painted brown.

Tacticool Guns

Only one of these rifles will actually go to work, though, as paradigms change, the others might become more suitable.

6.5 Grendel - No fancy camo on this one. I just included it to show the difference between Rustoleum Camouflage "Deep Forest Green", Hogue OD, and Magpul OD. I'm not so metrotactical that I have to have everything match exactly.

Patrol carbine - The stock, scope mount, and forend all received a base coat of Rustoleum Camouflage "Earth Brown". I then masked them using the Roscoeflage tulle fabric and painted them with Rustoleum Camouflage "Deep Forest Green". I also put a piece of clear, non-slip tape on the comb of the stock after the clearcoat cured. The barrel is painted Rustoleum Camouflage "Earth Brown".

Howa Mini - I mentioned this pattern in the Spongeflage video. It's a combination of Rustoleum flat gray primer, "Slate Blue", Camouflage "Sand", "Army Green", and black. The cheek piece is Rustoleum dark gray primer.

Sporter Rifles

Imp Rifle - This started out as an unfinished stock from Midway. The base coat is gray Rustoleum trunk paint followed by Krylon "Black Lava" marbelizing spray. The imp logo was just painted with a hand-cut stencil made from self-adhesive printer paper. The cheek piece is a piece of textured, self-adhesive black nitrile rubber. It is pulling away from the stock largely, I believe, because it doesn't extend down far enough on that side.

Long Bow Project - The stock has a base coat of gray primer that I masked with a tulle mesh and painted over with Rustoleum Camouflage "Dark Earth". The barreled receiver is painted Rustoleum Metallic "Oil-Rubbed Bronze".

Other Guns

Nothing really interesting here except the Garand stock is covered in spray-on truck bed coating and there's textured black nitrile on the Saiga and AR-180B. Neither of the green guns in this picture are clearcoated, and the increased wear is noticeable.

Basic Member
    You've got some real artistic talent evident in your paint jobs. Very nice! And I bet they shoot as good as they look.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    Nice collection of rifles.

Very nice indeed.

That "Taxis" scheme is absolutely brilliant !

Thanks, folks!

Most of them are good shooters, but that Saiga was never the 1.5 MOA gun I hoped it would be. Frankly, it was at best a 2 MOA shooter. It was still a fun project though.

I'm always amazed by how effective the stripes on the Taxis pattern are at breaking up the outline of the gun. Even in those pictures I can feel my brain having to work extra to keep the entire gun in my mind's eye.

Slick paint jobs!! Now to man up and try to do some of mine