Thread: New to Savage Rifles

New to Savage Rifles

Hello, All

I'm new to shooting both distance and Savage rifles. So I have many questions, I also am in the planning phase of a couple of build out ideas. 1. being a .223 Ackley Improved or a 6.5 Grendel if I can find a left handed bolt head assembly. 2. A .243 heavy Sporter barrel coyote/ground hog rifle. My first question is the bottom of the receiver on the Axis II model the same as the 10 / 110 actions. I have been looking for a chassis style stock like the XLR chassis. I have a contest of sorts going with a friend to each build up a savage rifle to compete head to head with at 100-500 yds. the first of June 2018. We did set a budget of 1,000.00 total for the build. Your advise thoughts and ideas are welcome. Let the fun begin.

Basic Member
    Lol. Nothing like making a fun hobby more fun with friends.
    If you want to compete at distance, BC is king. You'll find skinny long bullets carry better than skinny short bullets. Long distance snipers run the 338 Lapau or 50BMG, but you'll find lots of great long shots from 308 and 6.5.
    Build a 6.5 creedmore. If you want to stick to 243, look hard at the 240wby or 6mm Remington. If you want to go all out, find info on the 7mm Mashburn Super Magnum. And excellent wildcat round. You have to work hard on that one... making the cases is more work than I want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Team Savage
    Welcome aboard

Welcome from northeast georgia
    Ackley was right all along

The Axis is a totally different critter than the 10/110...

Thank you all, I am sure that I will be sending time with the vast amount of information within the brotherhood. I have chosen to stay with the Model 11/111 Trophy hunter as my platform. Yes its a couple hundred more, but I have to look at it also. So a few extra hours of over time.

Welcom
    gonna be a lot of overtime if the bug to build bites you
    as far as your platform if you are gonna rebar re- barrel and re-stock just look on this sight for an action
    save yourself a few bucks as well as you don't have to break the whole rifle down
    Old Smokey

Welcome from Florida!

I second what SageRat said but the AXIS is a fine shooter I have found!

I love the Savage line.....So easy to buy a barrel and swap it out! It's been awhile since I have bought a complete rifle! I now just buy barrels.
    Welcome to my home.....FYI..... That locked door you kicked down was for your protection.... not mine!!

Quote Originally Posted by P.Connell View Post
    Thank you all, I am sure that I will be sending time with the vast amount of information within the brotherhood. I have chosen to stay with the Model 11/111 Trophy hunter as my platform. Yes its a couple hundred more, but I have to look at it also. So a few extra hours of over time.
    You made a great choice man... especially for a Lefty (I am too) I also used the 11/111 platform to build my 260 Remington on. It will give you a lot more options for aftermarket items you want to add or replace. The only thing that is still Savage on my rifle, is the action itself. Everything else has been upgraded. Swapping out the stock for a good Laminate or Chassis is the first thing you may want to look at.

Good luck to you, welcome to the addiction...

Team Savage
    howdy.243ai great shooter

Welcome!
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways