Some may have read a few of my past threads about my 111 in .223 Rem. I have come to a point that I do not want to mess with the .223 anymore (after I use up the rest of my bullets or will trade them off). I am seriously considering taking the sporter barrel off and putting on a heavy sporter in 6x45. POU is varmint/predator and light recoiling 200 yard deer rifle. If I can get loads as accurate as I have for the .223, I should be able to get reliable CNS hits out to 150 yards and possibly beyond. I was contemplating bullets in the 85gr class for deer and working up a 65-70gr load for the other stuff. Most of my plinking will still be done with rimfires and a .357 single shot I have. I am really liking most everything about this particular cartridge for what I am looking for.

I have also considered the 300 BLK, or getting a PPC bolt head and going 6.5 Grendel, or 7.62x39. All of these have their virtues, but the 6.5 will have less options for budget bullets. The 7.62x39 will have the option of inexpensive ammo, and the BLK is able to use cheap reformed brass. Of these calibers, which would be your second choice and why? I understand that the 30's would probably shorten my range for use on deer too.