Thread: EGW 20 MOA rail ?

Johnny red

EGW 20 MOA rail ?

Okay, so the rifle I'm working on has this rail mounted on it. I'm 95% sure it on backwards. If someone could reassure me that the counter leaver part if supposed to face the bore? It's currently sticking out over the rear of the bolt. Savage model 10 wIm talking about. If i do need to turn it around any ideas of how to get the stripped screws out? They are very small torqex heads size 10 I'm guessing. Should I just drill the head off and try to grip the stud with vise grips ? Is there a safe way to heat them? Any suggestion appreciated.

Basic Member
    Oh my. Yes the cantilevered portion is supposed to float above the barrel nut.

Stripped screws? Guessing its been red loctited.

Youre gonna need to heat it up good and transfer the heat through the bolt.

You can force a bigger bit into the head if its not too bad.

They also sell kits to remove stuck bolts.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Johnny red
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterfpga View Post
    Oh my. Yes the cantilevered portion is supposed to float above the barrel nut.

Stripped screws? Guessing its been red loctited.

Youre gonna need to heat it up good and transfer the heat through the bolt.

You can force a bigger bit into the head if its not too bad.

They also sell kits to remove stuck bolts.

Yea your probably right about the red loctite. There was enough on the muzzle break to build 10 rifles. How would you suggest I heat it? Soldering iron on just the screw? Or touch it? I was thinking remove the bolt first is that a stupid idea? Thank you for you help.

Basic Member
    Soldering iron on the head of the screw should do it? But its gonna take a little while each one.

Basic Member
    Mini torch should be faster but be careful how long and where you aim it

Johnny red
    What your thoughts on drilling the heads off the screws and trying to heat the stud it self and using vise grips to try and get them out? I appreciate your time and thoughts.

Basic Member
    If you drill the heads off perfectly then i would imagine the entire base would lift right off and youd be able to work them much easier not to mention be able to take a cut off wheel for a dremel or small file and notch a slot for a flat head to turn out.

Basic Member
    I would start with a small bit first and work you way up to one similar to the head. Should help keep it centered for each size up in bit

Basic Member
    They also have step bits which im sure is much easier but probably cost more than what youve got already in 5 bits lol

Johnny red
    I only had 1 #10 torx bit and I broke it in the only screw that wasn't stripped out... LOL. I'm thinking that drilling them like you said is my only viable option at this point. If I can't get them out someone can.

Basic Member
    Dont forget the heat. See if it turns a little bit and then add more heat. If its still tough to turn dont try it without waiting for more heat

Basic Member
    You want it to be easy to turn

Johnny red
    Yes sir I do! But nothing has been easy about this project yet. I hope I'm not chasing someone else's problems. I'm betting it was ignorance that lead to this rifle ending up this way. I'm not a genius but I can tell which way the D.. Rail should go.

Basic Member
    Heat it and use something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NGTLM40...a-318198613386

Basic Member
    If you're left with no option but drill, I strongly suggest getting a left hand twist drill to do the job. Unlike an standard right hand drill, these apply a loosening effort to the screw as it bites into the head. Add a judicious amount of heat to soften the thread sealant and chances are it'll break free and back out before you get the head drilled off.

Can't tell you how many times a left hand drill has saved me a lot of work and expense with a stuck fastener. Easy outs are a thing of the past now.

Good luck!
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    If you're left with no option but drill, I strongly suggest getting a left hand twist drill to do the job. Unlike an standard right hand drill, these apply a loosening effort to the screw as it bites into the head. Add a judicious amount of heat to soften the thread sealant and chances are it'll break free and back out before you get the head drilled off.

Can't tell you how many times a left hand drill has saved me a lot of work and expense with a stuck fastener. Easy outs are a thing of the past now.

Good luck!
    Nice idea! I shouldve remembered this one.

Basic Member
    Take it to a gunsmith before you do permanent harm.

Team Savage
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Basic Member
    Youd have to be more special then the guy who installed it backwards to mess this up.

Johnny red
    The gentleman that did it is a soldier in the US army. I'll fix the rifle. I stand... I do not kneel unless I'm at church.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny red View Post
    The gentleman that did it is a soldier in the US army. I'll fix the rifle. I stand... I do not kneel unless I'm at church.
    Must be a private. They will break anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post

Good luck!
    Thanks for that bit of information.