Thread: Stupid question.

Johnny red

Stupid question.

Why can't I get the bolt out of a savage I just got? It is a model 10. It is used and doesn't have the button on the right side. It also won't fall free when the trigger is pulled. What am I doing wrong? This rifle is filthy and I want to clean it up.

Maybe it's a bottom bolt release? there would be a slide button in front of the trigger guard... push it back, pull the trigger at the same time, pull bolt out.

Johnny red
    Thanks I'll try that. Bubba got a hold of this rifle before me. The trigger guard was broken so I removed it and ordered a new one. This rifle is in a heavy fiberglass stock. If I can figure out how to show y'all a picture of it I will.

Johnny red
    This is my first savage center fire rifle. I picked a mess to start with. I only have about $300 in the barreled action and the macmillian stock. It will be very nice once I get it figured out. Gent put the 20 MOA rail on backwards and stripped the screws in it so that's my next order.

Banned
    Both the Bottom Bolt and Top Bolt release work on the same part of the trigger, they just get to that point in different ways.

Pull the gun out of the stock if you can't already and you should see the part the BBR pushed on.

It will be on the right side of the trigger.

Johnny red
    Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    Both the Bottom Bolt and Top Bolt release work on the same part of the trigger, they just get to that point in different ways.

Pull the gun out of the stock if you can't already and you should see the part the BBR pushed on.

It will be on the right side of the trigger.
    you are 100% correct. I had to remove the stock to see it. I'm not sure that it wasn't shorten or modified at some point in its life. Like I mentioned im a complete newby to these rifle. I have shot a few but never owned one. I hope this rifle performs as well as it's reputation.

Banned
    What caliber and barrel contour?

I would get Carbon Killer 2000 (or equal) and Bore Tech Eliminator and get the barrel squeaky clean.

If the back is that bed the front maybe (likely) be even worse..

Bore Tech eliminator is a good carbon cleaner but baized to copper. Its a good one to do the first cleaning as it will get both or layers.

Then the CK2000 to get the carbon out.

Then a last run of Bore Tech if to see if there is any plated copper on the rifling at the very bottom

I take the CK2000 to the range with me, clean the gun when I am done and the barrel still warm

Nylon brush, eye dropper, either drops on the brush in the magazine area or run all the way through and soak it good and back and forth 3 or 4 times, repeat and then a dry patch (or wet)

Takes about 3 to 5 cycles.

Dry patch when done. Can re-use the dry patch for the next dirty barrel.

I have no copper since the fist 100 rounds or so.

I hate having to clean a gun at home before I go shooting, it never seems to work out after I get home and then a scramble.

So I clean at the range and it works well.