Hello everyone, im new to the site and a first time Savage owner. i just got in my Axis II HB 223 in Kryptek camo. I bought the gun for target shooting mostly, I orderd new talley one piece bases/rings and a Vortex 6-18 Crossfire 2. When i tried to remove the factory bases the allen screws did not want to budge. Thought to myself oh well maybe ill just use the factory bases and rings for the new scope but when i went to put on the new scope it would not fit. the rings spacing was to far apart. So first i need to find a way to remove the factory bases, I have read that they might be cross threaded from the factory? Then im thinking of ordering the one piece picatinny mount from weaver and ordering new rings. has everyone gone through this with their new axis II's?
Aside from that im excited to start upgrading and shooting this gun.I've heard these rifles are tack drivers!! I havent shot it yet so i dont know forsure but im thinking of replacing the stock later on with a boyds pro varmint or one of the MDT chassis. (I havent decided how much $$ i want to put into this project yet) Once i figure out how the rifle shoots i will probably upgrade the glass on it as well. Once i get it to the range and get the scope situation figured out i will try to post pictures of how it shoots.