Thread: Model 12 FV 6.5 Creedmoor real world accuracy

Model 12 FV 6.5 Creedmoor real world accuracy

Need some advice please.
    I recently purchased a Model 12 FV in 6.5 CM and have a nice 6x24 Vortex mounted on it. Shoots well but just wanting to know what can be reasonably expected in accuracy at 100 or 200 yards. I read other posts of people shooting what are fantastically small groups i.e. .250 @ 100 yds which I have not duplicated with this rifle. I do have the same rifle in 223 and can get this small but the creedmoor not so much. About 5/8 is the best group to date with reloads (IMR 4350 and 123 grain Hornady) What have you shot or can shoot with this caliber and rifle combination? Thanks for the real world input.
    KYhunter

Basic Member
    Bumping your post because I am curious as well. I have a Creedmoor 12FV waiting for me to pick up at Cabela's. I plan to have the rifle and ammo ready some time next month to shoot if all goes well. I seem to see many talk about having success most often with the 140 grain loads. From what I read, the 1:8 twist of the Savage rifle should be well suited to handle the 140 grain projectiles. So, maybe try a different bullet, and one a bit heavier perhaps? While I have some powders compatible for the 6.5 Creedmoor, I plan to try Superformance powder if I can find a 1lb container locally. As you know, apparently the go to powder for the Creedmoor is Hodgon 4350, but it cannot be found from what I hear. If I did stumble upon some locally at a decent price, I would try it.

Anyway, you might want to try a different powder if you have some. I have read many liking Reloader 16, Reloader 17 and IMR 4451 for the Creedmoor. I have also read positive things about Superformance, so that's why I figured I would try that if I find some.

Also, I have learned to put about 100 rounds or so down the barrel before looking for real accuracy. I have one Savage that needed it. I had another that shot tight groups right off the bat.

Basic Member
    I have a few varieties of 6.5mm rifles. They all are capable of shooting better than 1/2 inch at 100, but so do most or all of my Savage rifles. That's no test. There are more accurate calibers for short range shooting, (100-200 yards). 6mm being the most notable. In my opinion, what makes the 6.5 nice is it's long range accuracy along with it's light recoil and lethal terminal performance on game.

THere is a lot that goes into making a rifle shoot well, the handler being first on the list. Your trigger, the barrel, the stock, finding the right cartridge components and recipes, rest...

In my opinion, ANY Savage 10/11/12/14/16 of ANY caliber MIGHT be a 1/2inch or better shooter at 100 yards. Your's might not be. Heck, I have built dozens of .450 Bushmasters that shoot better than that at 100 yards. What does that tell you about your rifle? Nothing. The only way to know for sure is to develop a load that IT likes and SOMEONE can consistently shoot 1/2 inch groups with it.

I don't mean to sound like a prick. It's just the way it is. If I were you, I would not judge it by how small a group you can get it to shoot at 100 yards, (as long as it's less than 3/4 inch) and, instead, judge it by how well you shoot it at 4-500 or even 700 yards.

These 12FV's have a flexy stock that's not bedded very well from the factory. If she's not shooting as good as you expect right out of the box, don't be discouraged. As Foxx said, there's a lot that goes into making a rifle shoot well. For example:

Thing #1 is the loose nut bearing on the trigger. If the shooter isn't doing their part, any rifle won't shoot well. Trigger control, breath control, cheek weld/eyeball positioning, how you're supporting the rifle (bags, bipod, etc), whether or not you're pacing your shooting to prevent point of impact shift from barrel heating, how much coffee you had, and a host of other factors will greatly affect the groups.

Thing #2 is enviromental conditions. Gusting/shifting wind, temperature changes, etc.

Thing #3 is ammo. Consistency, temperature, etc. Then there's the rifle's individual ammo preferences; bullet weight, bullet shape and construction, bullet seating depth, velocity, etc.

Thing #4 is the rifle itself. Is the action bedded properly (good chance that it's not, with the 'bargain' stock setup we're getting with these rifles that we've gotten such great deals on)? Are the action screws properly torqued (the rifle will have certain preferences there too depending on the bedding)? Is the stock flexing and throwing things off? Are the scope bases and rings properly mounted and torqued? Have the rings been lapped? Is the scope a known good performer? Has the chamber been properly cut? Has the crown been properly cut? MANY factors here.

These inexpensive Savage bolt guns are often surprisingly good shooters. Sometimes you luck out and it's squared away as-is. More often, they become great shooters with a little (or more than a little) time and effort. With these particular models, the weak link in the chain is the stock and bedding.

Sometimes they'll shoot great right out of the box........except for the odd flyer. Sometimes you'll get stringing (vertical, horizontal, or sometimes diagonal) with changes in barrel temp and/or fore end/bag/bipod/sling pressure.

Then there are the rifles that'll shoot ho-hum groups even when everything else is A-OK (ammo, shooter technique, etc).

For these problem children..........stiffening the stock (or replacing it), epoxy ('glass') bedding the action, clearancing the barrel channel, properly torquing the action screws, and/or other relatively minor work will often times turn the rifle into a fantastic shooter for the $ and time invested. It can be a rewarding challenge.

With these rifles I go into it with an expectation that I'll probably have to do something in the way of work (bedding at the least) to get my new rifle in line. Don't get frustrated. Go at the problem patiently and systematically and you'll have that rifle shooting bug holes when you do your part. There's a lotta help here for the searching/asking if you get stumped too.

What a huge amount of knowledge shared. Thanks to all. I will first work on me and my technique. I also believe the 2" dots I have, even trying to aim diligently for the exact center I believe are too large. The aim small miss small concept seems to come mind.
    I have worked up the best groups from both the 123 gn ELD Hornady and the 140 gn sst Hornady and at lease settle on a load. I. May try to find some 140 gn ELD via Midwayusa or Cabelas but need to work with what I have right now.
    Again appreciate the good thoughts and advice.
    KY

Basic Member
    2" dots? Definitely too big for me to shoot 1/2 inch groups with.

Basic Member
    Add a black sharpie bull on your 2" dot.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KYhunter View Post
    Need some advice please.
    I recently purchased a Model 12 FV in 6.5 CM and have a nice 6x24 Vortex mounted on it. Shoots well but just wanting to know what can be reasonably expected in accuracy at 100 or 200 yards. I read other posts of people shooting what are fantastically small groups i.e. .250 @ 100 yds which I have not duplicated with this rifle. I do have the same rifle in 223 and can get this small but the creedmoor not so much. About 5/8 is the best group to date with reloads (IMR 4350 and 123 grain Hornady) What have you shot or can shoot with this caliber and rifle combination? Thanks for the real world input.
    KYhunter
    I shoot ~ 150 benchrest shots with M10, M12 and Striker, per week. Every shot is part of an experiment. I generally shoot jacketed bullets, 5 shots, 100 yards,5 groups average <1". The better loads shoot down to ~ .750"-.900.

Hoppe's front rest, sandbag rear.
    I find it difficult to AVERAGE < .850" for 5 groups 5 shots.
    I believe that few can shoot AVERAGE <.500" 5 groups 5 shots 100 yards with a sporter/hunter stock, off inexpensive front rest and rear bag.
    I believe that < 1", the rests and scope and skill and technique become important.
    joe b.

I'll echo what joeb said: my first 12FV in .308 Win was a very good shooter right out of the box. I remember thinking I was missing the target on my second and third shots because, at 100 yards, I couldn't really see the group growing. However, subsequent shots landed outside the three-shot bughole, expanding the group to a much more likely 3/4" spread. Still, it might be tempting to say the rifle shot this teeny, tiny group, but really three shots was not representative of the rifle's capability.

Basic Member
    Its hard to say. I read an article that claimed random fliers can be fixed by properly bedding the stock. Or maybe you just pulled the shot.

Fv 6.5 Creedmoor

My first Cabelas 12v was a .223; I had it bedded in a Boyds thumbhole stock. It shoots under MOA all day and better in skilled hands. If you bought one on sale at $319.00 with a $100 rebate from Savage, you can afford to trade out the stock. I have a 6.5 on backorder at that price and I plan to bed it in a Bell and Carlson Tactical/Varmint. I will thread the barrel and shoot it suppressed. With the right load, it will go 1/2 MOA consistently. I will report when assembled.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KYhunter View Post
    Need some advice please.
    KYhunter
    Try some 140gr. rounds.