Thread: Problem with Axis 223 magazine.

Problem with Axis 223 magazine.

The magazine for 223 Axis is very difficult to insert and almost impossible to remove. I have 2 Axis rifles, a 223 in a Boyds stock and a Axis 2 6.5 CM in a hardwood .stock. The 6.5 Mag will fit fine in either stock but 223 mag is very hard to remove from both of them. I have compared both mag and with the only thing I can see being 3 holes drilled in one. Right now I'm loading the 223 one rd at a time. Has there been some type of modification on the Axis 2 mag.

I was thinking of ordering another 223 mag for an Axis 2 but everything I see just indicates Axis. Has anyone had this problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated,

Basic Member
    First, I would loosen front action screw to see if it is any easier to insert or remove when action is not tight to stock.

Also, the bottom of the clasp on the mag (part that engages the plastic tab on the stock) might need to be filed down a bit so the tab freely snaps on and off. Another thing to check is whether the plastic bottom is attached properly to the mag box.

Finally, when inserting mag, always turn the rifle over, place the heal of the mag into place first, then push the front of mag into place, making sure the clasp moves all the way forward into place

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    First, I would loosen front action screw to see if it is any easier to insert or remove when action is not tight to stock.

Also, the bottom of the clasp on the mag (part that engages the plastic tab on the stock) might need to be filed down a bit so the tab freely snaps on and off. Another thing to check is whether the plastic bottom is attached properly to the mag box.

Finally, when inserting mag, always turn the rifle over, place the heal of the mag into place first, then push the front of mag into place, making sure the clasp moves all the way forward into place
    Thanks for info. I tried all the thinks you suggested. Filing the plastic tab seemed to help inserting it but was still hard to remove. The plastic bottom is lose. I can rock it side to side. Awhile ago I read a post about using wire to tighten up the bottom. I will try that to see if it works for me. I'll probably end up buying a new one, I didn't think they would be as expensive as they are. Thanks again for your help.

Bob

Basic Member
    Well, if the problem is just the plastic bottom part, you can get those from Savage Customer Service for $2-3.

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Well, if the problem is just the plastic bottom part, you can get those from Savage Customer Service for $2-3.

well I think I'll try the plastic bottom first and see if that works. Is there an instructional PDF or video on how to disassemble / assemble the magazine? I'm not very mechanically inclined. Thanks for the help

I have an Axis II .223 and an Axis HB .308. I put each of them in a Boyd's stock and had the same problem with both of them. Very difficult to remove or insert the magazine but mag felt "loose enough" when it actually was inserted. For each of them, I found that the problem was totally resolved by removing the stock and carefully using a wood rasp to remove material at the rear of the Boyd's magazine opening. In particular, I changed the angle of the opening in the stock just slightly. This totally cured the problem on both these rifles and the mags now insert and release as they should.