Thread: Good Prairie Dog starter?

Basic Member

Good Prairie Dog starter?

Co-worker offered me his 22-250 model 11 FV (?) Trophy Hunter. He's shot less than 50rds through this so I would call it new. I know him well he doesn't reload and the ammo is to expensive for him so he picked up a .223 used. Best part is he kept the scope and said it's mine for $250. Wanting to know how you feel about price and if this is a good plat form to build on for prairie dog shoots? Have been reading on here trying to get a feel, but just couldn't answer my own question. I know the stock isn't the best, and have been pricing others; know I can upgrade the trigger with the varmint spring if wanted. My biggest concern is the standard barrel, not heavy and getting some more weight into it to see shots.

He is suppose to confirm actual model and get me some pics, we looked on the Savage site and found what he says it is, that why I added the "Trophy Hunter" in there. Says he know it has accu trigger, and plastic stock.

Basic Member
    I don't think you can go wrong for $250. You have the action that you could rebarrel to any short action caliber very easily.

Basic Member
    I dont know of any 11FV. The 12FV has a 26" varmint barrel. The 11 trophy hunter is just a 22" lightweight barrel. Either one is a steal for the price.

That rifle will be a great starter for PDs... The accutrigger on that rifle will turn down to about 2.5 lbs which should be plenty light for Prairie doggin'... The barrel swap will be easy on that rifle also, so when you shoot out that barrel, you've got a great action to build the next one.... I'd pay $250 for the action alone... You will probably want to upgrade that scope pretty quickly however... I find that at least 14X and even better is 18X for shooting them at 300+...

Basic Member
    Will report back with details, once I look it over. Guy said its only two years old and less than a box of ammo through it.