Thread: Base for 12FV

Base for 12FV

I have ordered a 12FV and need to know what base will fit it. I have a scope base for a Savage 12 LRP rifle. Will it fit the 12 FV? This is my 1st post so I hope I didn't confuse things. Thanks for your help.

oops!! I stand corrected. The forum says I've posted before. Didn't remember that. Sorry

You will need a base for an accutrigger equipped short action (SA) savage. The accutrigger actions are also referred to as 'round tops' because they have a rounded rear ring that has the same dimensions as the front receiver ring.

Pre-accutrigger Savage 10/11/12/14/16/110/111/112/114/116 series rifles have a flat surface machined into the top of the rear ring. They're sometimes referred to as 'flat tops'. I don't know if your LRP base will work on a standard round top short action.

Jformeck
    I use egw one piece bases on all my savage rifles, of it's a newer rifle you'll need a round back, an older savage will use the flat back version, and either 0 or 20 moa elevation, whichever you prefer.

Update: The DNZ mount that I had used on a Savage 12 LRP fit the Savage 12 FV.

Basic Member
    Just for the benefit of future readers....

Accutrigger is no way related to the shape of the top of the action. Though most, if not all Savages now come with Accutrigger, many early round backs came from the factory without them. No correlation.

You are looking for a mount for a short action round back.

I disagree that there's no correlation between the introduction of the Accutrigger and the shape of the rear receiver ring. There is a relationship. Yes there are round top actions that don't have Accutriggers (including the discontinued Stevens 200's). However, in the context of the OP's question (what base for a newly ordered 12FV), my advice was valid.

Also, many retailers and mfg's catalog their Savage bases as being for 'Accutrigger' or 'non-Accutrigger' actions (and others state 'round top' or 'flat top', as I said in my earlier post). Is it a perfect 100% correlation? No. Is it completely unrelated with no correlation? No. A few examples:

https://swfa.com/mounts-rings-and-ba...=Savage%20Arms

Basic Member
    With all due respect intended, really...

There is no relationship between the two. Some manufacturer's and retailer's may think there is, I have no idea. This forum is a source for accurate, reliable information about all things Savage, sometimes more authoritative than the company itself. If there are some misconceptions out there about that, let's not perpetuate or encourage it here.

Hello, I am a new shooter and need some help. I bought a savage 12fv in .223 from cabelas and need a scope base. Does someone have suggestions and part numbers of the base I should get? It's a little confusing for a newbie like myself. Thanks in advance.

Basic Member
    These work just fine on all my 12FV's. http://www.egwguns.com/savage/

And: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...r-short-action

If you're planning on shooting long distance, you'll need a 20 MOA base so that you can get the elevation you need to hit targets out past 800 yds.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    Any round-base short action one-piece base or any round-base two piece base set that is made for a Savage will work.
    On my two 12 FVs, I prefer two-piece bases because they leave more space to feed the 12 FVs hidden magazine.
    I find that the one-piece bases restrict the opening between the scope tube and the bolt channel, especially with the 30 mm tube scopes that I prefer for additional light gathering in the early morning.
    S
    ince there is no detachable magazine on a 12 FV, my old hands and fingers need all the space they can get to easily load the hidden magazine.
    With detachable magazine rifles, I have no problem with one-piece bases, but my old 10 FP .308 taught me that two piece bases have an added advantage with hidden magazines.

Basic Member
    I use the Warne non-tactical 0MOA base (Part No. 7666M) on my 12FV. They also make a 20MOA version (Part No. 7666-20MOA). I like these Warne bases because they don't extend beyond the front of the receiver where they may interfere with the bell of the scope.

Basic Member
    When I went to get my bases for my 12V, the gun store had a catalog that we used to cross reference. I went with the Weaver 2 piece base, gives me a little more room for loading rounds and I think its solid.
    I have the 223 so recoil is not really an issue, but see no reason why they would not handle anything in the 12V lineup.

Basic Member
    just an fyi, looks like they are off the sale now, back up to $419..Dang it I just talked the accountant into letting me buy another one...guess I will have to wait, hopefully they go on sale again...