Thread: Savage 12 ML Conversion

Savage 12 ML Conversion

Yeah, I know, its been done before... yada yada...

My build is finally coming together I'll try to post updates as it progresses.

Using a ML-II barrel.

Savage model 12 action with accutrigger.

McMillan Game Warden Stock.

Arrowhead bolt face.

Action arrives tomorrow, barrel is in hand. then I need to order all the small parts, barrel nut, recoil lug, bolt face, etc.

I wouldn't waste my time using a factory 10ML-II barrel. Savage no longer supports the 10ML's, meaning replacement parts (breech plug and vent liners) are no longer available. According to Randy Wakeman's website, he's no longer going to support them either and when his current inventory of improved vent liners is gone, they're gone for good. Not sure if Arrowhead makes replacements that will fit the factory barrel or not, but something I'd definitely check into before committing to that factory barrel.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Already have the barrel, with breech plug and liners. So I'm not too concerned on that front. Arrowhead still has plenty of liners and breechplugs, plus I can always upgrad the breechplug with arrowheads offerings later.

Action is here, barrel is GTG. I need to finish the stock, inlet it and put on a pad and flush cups for my sling. Other small parts such as the recoil lug, barrel nut, bolt head, spare vent liners, etc all arrive today. I conveniently forgot to order action screws, luckily I have to go to ace hardware anyway. I'll pick up a 12mm socket to make a breach plug wrench with too.

It is together. I will test fire it tomorrow. Then finish buffing out the stock next week.

I'm still alive. lol

Wish there was an easier way to post pictures here...

Gun shoots great!

Lehigh still makes vents and you can always swap over to a tungsten carbide bushing plug. Fishhawk can even convert your vent liner plug to a bushing. In a 50cal, the bushing will last a long long time. Replacements are about $30

Will one of you guys post an address or web sight too get a hold of some of these suppliers. There are 3 of us who have ML II and want to get a spare or two of some of the parts. Thank for any info.

smokelessmz.com has MLII plugs, vents and bushing plugs plus spare bushings that fit his plugs.
    http://www.arrowheadsporting.com/breechplugs.html

Hankins Custom rifle has MLII plugs and bushings for his plugs. His bushings are a tad shorter and i dont think he stocks vent liners.
    https://www.hankinscustomrifles.com/...ng-components/

Lehigh has MLII vents and so does BadgerRidge industries.
    https://www.lehighbullets.com/produc...-breech-plugs/
    https://www.badgerridgeind.com/store...ehighVentLiner

Bestill Creations can mod existing plugs and rifles also. Jeff Fisk is a top shelf ML enthusiast and has been a top shooter at Friendship MANY times over. He has also built MANY winning or top scoring rifles for the inline event at Friendship......Absolutely a first class act and great guy. I have a custom made plug from him in one of my Knight rifles.
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/Bestill-...=page_internal

Overkill458 Thanks for the info

Glad to see your barrel is shooting accurately. Savage messed up and actually made SOME
    of them accurate! Mine was a lesson in frustration trying to get it to shoot well, but did take
    a few deer with it and didn't lose any. Later rebarreled it with a .451 PacNor and it is a true
    tack driver with full formed bullets.

My MLII shot fine with 300gr bullets and slower powders but my NULA model 20 and Savage MLII with a Pacnor 45 barrel are far less picky about what they will shoot. Once you go 45cal sabotless it hard to go back to a 50cal sabot shooter. My NULA is the exception only because its so light and deadly accurate with sabots. Sold the MLII SS/Laminate for a nice profit years ago.

Thank you for the info, late to this party

I will be ordering the spare parts from mine. Didn't realize that the clock was running down. Thanks all